Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buzzing Ceiling Fan

You know that somewhat familiar 'buzzing' noise that ceiling fans make,
right?

We have one that came with the house. It *looks* fairly new, at least
as far as I can tell from the floor- it's a nice stainless steel
Hunter. When we moved in in December, it only made this buzzing noise
when you turned it up to its higher speeds (it is on a dimmer switch on
the wall). As time as progressed, it has gotten noisier and noisier at
lower RPMs until now it makes noise at its slowest possible setting.

Do they do this because they're dirty, worn out, or otherwise broken?
Is there anything dangerous about operating them in this fashion?
What's the recommended fix for this?

Part of the problem is that the ceiling that it is on is vaulted. When
I say vaulted, don't think of your average house ceiling, think of a
church ceiling. This damn thing is about 20 feet off the floor, taller
than any ladder I own. I'm highly unmotivated to climb up there and
take it down, but I'm sure that any fix will involve doing just that.
If this sound doesn't mean it's about to burst into flames, then I'll
wait till I can budget someone to come in and do it. Otherwise, I'll
leave it off until then.

Thanks for any and all!

-phaeton

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

First thing I would try is a new speed control, preferably one that is not
"infinite". Lutron fandial is a good one

"phaeton" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

phaeton posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

[...]

Call Hunter. I believe they offer a lifetime warranty. The buzzing is caused
by the windings vibrating. Not sure if a different speed control would help.
--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Aug 2006 15:02:20 -0700, "phaeton"
wrote:

[...]

While on medium speed, feel of the housing to check the temperature.
If it is hot then you you need to rplace it. Otherwise, let it buzz
until you can't stand it anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Does it have a light kit? If so, make sure any globes that are on it are
tight. I had a fan with 4 lights on it, and it would buzz terribly if the
screws holding the globes were loose.

"phaeton" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"phaeton" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

Temporairly replace the dimmer with a switch to see if the buzzing goes
away. Then you heve some direction as to if it's the fan/fan wiring or
the dimmer. Then put the dimmer back on to see if the problem returns
(assuming it went away). If it doesn't return, then a bad connection at
the dimmer.

Removing Hot Air from Vaulted Ceiling Todd Home Repair 21 July 19th 12 03:42 AM
Need Help With Insulating Ceiling Of Enclosed Porch Josh B. Home Repair 1 May 15th 06 12:40 PM
Insulating a drop ceiling... bremen68 Woodworking 5 May 7th 06 10:35 PM
Ceiling Fan Steve Home Repair 0 August 7th 05 06:59 PM
Detecting Insulation in Ceiling and Walls Paul Home Repair 6 August 18th 03 06:59 PM