Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Dehumidify" and "night" modes for central air?

When we lived in Taiwan almost twenty years ago we had Hitachi
computer-controlled window/hole-in-the-wall air conditioners with a
"dehumidfy" mode. In this mode they would run for a while then stop,
then repeat the cycle, irrespective of the temperature. I don't recall
what the on/off ratio was, and I don't think it was adjustable. Would it
not be possible to cycle a typical central air system in the same way to
reduce the humidity without necessarily reducing the temperature by much?

These also had a "night-time" mode, in which after 4 hours they would
raise the temperature by half a degree (Celsius) every half hour. The
idea was that one would not keep waking up because of being too cold.
Have North American A/C systems ever had such a mode?

Perce