Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace coil springs in leather wingback chairs

i have a couple of leather wingback chairs. we can't sit in them much
anymore since the seat is sagging due to broken coil springs. we had an
estimate to fix them but it was more than what we paid so i am wanting
to learn how to do it myself. where can i get the replacement coil
springs? what is the procedure to replace them. thanks much....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ardee" wrote in message
oups.com...
i have a couple of leather wingback chairs. we can't sit in them much
anymore since the seat is sagging due to broken coil springs. we had an
estimate to fix them but it was more than what we paid so i am wanting
to learn how to do it myself. where can i get the replacement coil
springs? what is the procedure to replace them. thanks much....

Buy a book on upholstery. Do a Google search too. The procedure is more
than someone can go into on a newsgroup posting. Pictures help a lot. Like
anything else, some people have the ability, others will not, but at least
check it out.

One more thing. Getting them fixed properly may cost more than you paid for
the chair because you will be getting a good job. The springs broke because
they were low quality to begin with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ardee writes:

where can i get the replacement coil springs?

Easy to make 'em yourself.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/intro.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
One more thing. Getting them fixed properly may cost more than you paid for
the chair because you will be getting a good job. The springs broke because
they were low quality to begin with.

So, if you buy a good chair, with long-lasting springs, it would last
longer? And if the good ones broke, would the repair be more expensive?

--
zidarea u67804

You like web strategy?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"zidar" wrote in message

So, if you buy a good chair, with long-lasting springs, it would last
longer?

Yes, some last over 50 years with no problems.

And if the good ones broke, would the repair be more expensive?

The repair would be the same. Labor to replace a spring in a cheap or
expensive chair does not really vary. And the cost difference on the
springs is very minor. Reputable furniture makers won't use cheap stuff,
but a big factory with an inexpensive line will fight to save pennies.

There are two ways to buy furniture, IMO. You can buy low cost, but stylish
furniture. It will wear out in short time, but you won't care because you
want a new style anyway. My old neighbor used to buy new furniture every
12 to 24 months just because she wanted a change.

You can buy good, durable furniture that will last decades. After 15
years, we had or living room set re-upholstered. That cost more than some
new stuff, but it was sturdy the size we liked, and recovered it was a
whole new look. After another 10 years we gave it away and did a major
change.

FWIW, I just refinished a chest that my parents bought for my brother and I
when I was 5 years old. I'm turning 61 next month. Solid maple, dovetailed
drawers, solid brass hardware, it still looks great. With normal use, it
shoudl last another 100 years or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

A lot of the coil spring chairs are made with mass produced cheap spring
units so coil springs is not necessarily a sign of quality in a new chair.

Consumer Reports tested furniture a few years ago and they did not find any
particular construction type superior than the other. So a good chair made
with flat spring suspension system may last as long as a coil spring system.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"zidar" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote in message
k.net...
A lot of the coil spring chairs are made with mass produced cheap spring
units so coil springs is not necessarily a sign of quality in a new chair.

Consumer Reports tested furniture a few years ago and they did not find
any particular construction type superior than the other. So a good chair
made with flat spring suspension system may last as long as a coil spring
system.

But there may be differences in springs from China versus springs from some
other source. It is not so much the style, but the materials used in them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 02:33:25 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

FWIW, I just refinished a chest that my parents bought for my brother and I
when I was 5 years old. I'm turning 61 next month. Solid maple, dovetailed
drawers, solid brass hardware, it still looks great. With normal use, it
shoudl last another 100 years or so.

Absolutely. By coincidence, I'll probably be driving back from Texas
with my bedroom furniture, two chests, a desk, two wood bed frames,
and a night table, that my parents bought for me when I was about 4 or
5. I'm 59. I think it aged more in the 6 years my sister-in-law
had it than the 48 years before that (when it didn't age at all.) but
I'll clean it up.

I'm probably going to fly there and rent a truck to go home. All I
can find are 10 foot trucks or bigger. Does anyone know where I could
rent a pickup with a cap, or a van with only a front seat, for a
one-way rental? Dallas to Baltimore.

As to upholstered furniture, my mother had the dining room chairs
redone when they were about 45 years old. She had my father's chair
and a wing chair reupholstered when they were about 20 years old, but
I think that was for decorating reasons.

Only one dining room chair got a loose glue joint -- and I don't know
why she didn't have it reglued while the upholsetery was off. Now
the leg is too loose to sit on the chair and I'm going to have to
unupholster it, glue it, and put it back together. I'm noot so good
at gluing furniture anyhow. I wish she had paid the guy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
Only one dining room chair got a loose glue joint -- and I don't know
why she didn't have it reglued while the upholsetery was off. Now
the leg is too loose to sit on the chair and I'm going to have to
unupholster it, glue it, and put it back together. I'm noot so good
at gluing furniture anyhow. I wish she had paid the guy.

There are kits for just that purpose. Comes with an injector.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,110&p=30261

Posted to alt.home.repair

U Hau; rents vans one way. it costs more but might be worth it.

I reupholstered LOTS of furniture by taking local community college non
credit class. Really got into it did over a time a kitchen set of
chairs, a nice recliner, a big overstuffed chair, 2 wing back vinyl
chairs, my cars seat, and some other misc stuff. I kept taking the
class the teacher did the sewing for me, I was helping teach by my last
few classes.

Its a LOT of work but well worth restoring older quality furniture.

As to the spring it will be difficult to just replace the spring, just
redo the chair///\\

Springs can break but generally its the webbing and tying that fails
making it appear its a broken spring........

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

I'm probably going to fly there and rent a truck to go home. All I
can find are 10 foot trucks or bigger. Does anyone know where I could
rent a pickup with a cap, or a van with only a front seat, for a
one-way rental? Dallas to Baltimore.

Call a freight company and ship it. Shouldn't be more than $100-$200.