DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Chimney stumper (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/173311-chimney-stumper.html)

[email protected] August 21st 06 10:12 PM

Chimney stumper

I have a chimney with the basement's woodburning insert's pipe running
up parallel to an abandoned vent for an indoor grill. The grill's vent
on the chimney is capped with about a 1" thick concrete block caulked
in place.

One wet winter when I got the woodburning insert hot enough, lots of
water vapor (and some accompanying smell) was driven into the house
through the old indoor grill location.

I don't know if water seeped through the concrete cap or if it seeped
in through the red brick. The overall poured chimney cap seems OK.
Should I try to apply a sealer of some sort to the small cap block?
Other ideas?

[email protected] August 22nd 06 02:36 AM

Chimney stumper

get a cmera inspection on both flues, they may be detoriated between
them.......

remove cap for camera.

then decide how to proceed

[email protected] August 22nd 06 04:05 PM

Chimney stumper

wrote:
get a cmera inspection on both flues, they may be detoriated between
them.......

remove cap for camera.

then decide how to proceed

Probably a good idea. Thanks.