DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Slate Floor Cleaning / Waxing -- Sealed? Problem with white crud on surface after cleaning... (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/173111-slate-floor-cleaning-waxing-sealed-problem-white-crud-surface-after-cleaning.html)

Jamie Dolan August 20th 06 12:33 PM

Slate Floor Cleaning / Waxing -- Sealed? Problem with white crud on surface after cleaning...

HI,

I just moved into a new home,, (acutally I am moving into my grandparrents
old home). The front foyer is slate, I think it is vermont slate, There
are a couple different colors of slate in the floor.

I assumed it was sealed. (Home was build in 1963, everything in the home
was build on the high end side of things, so I imangine some type of sealer
was used). Water does not seem to asorb into the slate very much, if at
all.

I have had some kind of dull whiteish area on the surface a little bit,
wasnt sure what it was, I assumed it was something on the surface(dirt) or
old layers of wax. I used a good detergent and scrubbed the entire floor,,
then I used a strong dose of a commercial floor stripped and scrubbed it
well. Then I came back and scrubbed it with a mix of 1 cup a gallon of
ammonina, then I washed it down with a very mild mix of a floor cleaner that
works as a neturalizer after stripping. I just followed this same
procedure, (at the same time tonight) on my kitchen vinyl floor as well.
The kitchen floor is looking great, Ill give it a clean hot water wash, then
I will wax it with a commercial floor wax.

Ok here is the situation (and my point in describing the kitchen floor
situation): The slate floor now has a while residue over about half of it
in random spots. It does not come up even with vigerous scrubbing with a
mop. I got down and tried to rub this off with a rag,, none of it came up
at all. I scratched at it with my thumb nail and I was able to clear off a
little bit of it. The best description of it I can thing to say is that it
is kind of kind watered down laytex paint on the floor.

I don't know what else to do to get this clean short of scrubbing every
square inch of it with a wire brush, and I am not sure that is a good idea,
i fear it will damage the slate.

Once this is cleaned up (however that is going to happen), then, I don't
know if I need to try and seal it again or if I can just throw some
comercial flor wax on it the way I am going to do on the kitchen vinyl
floor...

Any help is greatly appricated. (I have been up all night scrubbing both
floors!! big project!, but it really really needed it)

Thanks again

Jamie Dolan
fox cities, WI

m Ransley August 20th 06 01:46 PM

Slate Floor Cleaning / Waxing -- Sealed? Problem with whitecr...

Did you use a wax remover like Lundmark. There are electric floor
scrubbers for 100$ or so or you can rent a commercial unit, I have used
them on slate. Another option is a pro who knows what to do to make it
right the first time and guide you on maintenance.

JoeM August 20th 06 02:03 PM

Slate Floor Cleaning / Waxing -- Sealed? Problem with white crud on surface after cleaning...

"Jamie Dolan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Most likely a commercial sealer,not a wax,was applied.

Jamie Dolan August 21st 06 04:38 AM

Slate Floor Cleaning / Waxing -- Sealed? Problem with whitecr...

I don't know exactly what the lundmark brand is, but I used a comercial
stipped that removes all wax from a floor.

I found that if I use a commet type cleanser and scrub very very hard, I get
the tiles very very nice and clean. Although it is going to be a
increadable amount of work to do that by hand, so I may see if I can rent
one of the units you refer to. I am also going to try my da sanded with a
cotton pad on it using the cleanser on it and see if that works at all.

thanks!

jamie

Jamie Dolan August 21st 06 04:39 AM

Slate Floor Cleaning / Waxing -- Sealed? Problem with white crud on surface after cleaning...

Most likely a commercial sealer,not a wax,was applied.

The more I look at it, the more I think it was some type of sealer, but it
is all spotty and half worn off now.

I think I will be able to get it up with lot of scrubbing...

But then what do I do, Apply several coats of wax or try some type of
sealer?

jamie