Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas Plumbing into detached garage through breezeway.

before I get laughed at by a plumber I'd your opinion on if this is
feasable.

I'm considering a 15KW NG generator that I would like to install behind my
detached garage. My gas meter is on the side of the house opposite where
the generator will be installed (of course).

I'm looking at "T"ing off the 1" ID gas pipe just as it enters the attic (1
story hose) about 10' from the meter. At that distance from the meter, that
pipe is capable of supplying at least 550 CFH of NG. Down stream from the
"T", the household appliances branch off and together consume a combined
total of 200 CFH if everything is on (unlikely).

At the "T", I would run a second 1 1/2" ID line a total of 150 feet through
the attic of the house, then through the attic if a 30' breezeway, and into
the open frame detached garage. From the end of this 1 1/2", line the
generator would consume 250CFH at full load.

1 1/2" pipe is likely overkill but was chosen to minimize the pressure drop
while starting the generator. However there will be six 90 degre elbows in
the pipe to make the trip so that would cause some flow restrictions.

This puts a load at the "T" in the attic at 450 CFH which is within what
that diameter pipe is capable of supplying at 10' from the meter.

This of course will mean upgrading the meter to a larger one. my current
model is rated for 250CFH@ 0.5" of H20 drop.

Questions.

1) This will be in Houston TX. Will ther ebe any code problems with running
a gas pipe to the back of the garage in this manner?

I priced a second gas pipe and it is rediculous! $1500 to install and a
minimum of $15 per month even if no gas is used.

2) Are there any technical issues with opening a 1" pipe up to 1 1/2" for
along run with minimum drop?

3) any other problems with this approach? too many elbows?

thanks