Old August 15th 06, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default oil furnace running off inverter?

I live in a small town in Canada where the power sometimes goes off in
winter for a few hours. Last year when when it went off for a day and it
was -20C I was concerned about frozen ho****er pipes. Does anyone know
roughly how much power a ho****er furnace takes? My system is small having
one circulation pump, a blower and one thermostat.

Instead of a generator I was thinking of a 1000W inverter and a car battery
just to keep the pipes from freezing. I see a small electrical box with a
ricker switch that is close to the furnace. I could turn it off, cut the
three wires and add a male & female prong and socket plug. When the power
goes out I could turn off the power to the furnace with the electrical box,
unplug it and plug it onto the inverter. I have a 700VA UPS that I could
also use if possible.

miker

Old August 15th 06, 08:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

check model number tag for electrical specs, the pump probably means
well over a thousand watts, larger inverts are available

Old August 15th 06, 08:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

miker wrote:

I live in a small town in Canada where the power sometimes goes off in
winter for a few hours. Last year when when it went off for a day and it
was -20C I was concerned about frozen ho****er pipes. Does anyone know
roughly how much power a ho****er furnace takes? My system is small having
one circulation pump, a blower and one thermostat.

Instead of a generator I was thinking of a 1000W inverter and a car battery
just to keep the pipes from freezing. I see a small electrical box with a
ricker switch that is close to the furnace. I could turn it off, cut the
three wires and add a male & female prong and socket plug. When the power
goes out I could turn off the power to the furnace with the electrical box,
unplug it and plug it onto the inverter. I have a 700VA UPS that I could
also use if possible.

miker

You have a Hydronic system with oil-fired "boiler".

In very round approximate numbers,
the burner motor might draw 2.5 Amp
the circ pump motor might draw 3.5 Amp

or about 700-800 watts.

Your UPS may not be of much help if it won't "self-start"
when disconnected from the 60cyc line.

The 1000 VA Inverter should be capable of running both motors,
assuming both don't start together. Try it and find out.

FWIW, I ran an oil "furnace" here off my 1000 VA Inverter
in power outages. It had to start the burner motor and then
the blower fan motor. It complained, but the house didn't freeze!

Jim
Old August 15th 06, 08:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

It won't work for long off of a car battery.

Old August 15th 06, 09:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

The 1000 VA Inverter should be capable of running both motors,
assuming both don't start together. Try it and find out.

1000VA from a 12 Volt inverter means about 100Amps at 12 Volts. That
takes a lot of battery to run that for more than a few minutes. You
would do better with a small generator instead of a big inverter.

Mark

Old August 16th 06, 01:57 AM posted to alt.home.repair

How about buy an ammeter from Harbor Freight, and see what the actual
current draw is?

Don't cut the wires off the ricker switch, unscrew them. Wire nut the
appliance cord on, and plug into inverter. Worked for me, and I don't
even need a new ricker switch when I'm done.

Marine trolling battery will give you MUCH better service than an auto
battery. Car batteries are designed for shallow discharge, a deep
discharge like a day's furnace would not be good. Marine trolling are
MUCH better suited.

You may also be able to wire in the marine battery to your present
UPS, if it uses a 12 volt battery. Don't even need a new ricker
switch.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Old August 16th 06, 02:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like the voice of experience. Where I am, power cuts are seldom
more than a couple hours. But four days has happened, and that in the
bitter cold winter.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
om...
wrote:

It won't work for long off of a car battery.

That is a very good point.
To run mine, I invested in a couple of good deep-cycle batteries.

You then have to have a plan to maintain the batteries.
For me, it has been worth all the bother.
The batteries are now 5 yrs old and they have provided power
thru numerous outrages and run lights and fridge besides the
furnace as needed.

Jim

Old August 16th 06, 02:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
That is a very good point.
To run mine, I invested in a couple of good deep-cycle batteries.

You then have to have a plan to maintain the batteries.
For me, it has been worth all the bother.
The batteries are now 5 yrs old and they have provided power
thru numerous outrages and run lights and fridge besides the
furnace as needed.

Jim

How long can you run off of the batteries? Can they be charged with your
car?

Old August 16th 06, 02:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message

That is a very good point.
To run mine, I invested in a couple of good deep-cycle batteries.

You then have to have a plan to maintain the batteries.
For me, it has been worth all the bother.
The batteries are now 5 yrs old and they have provided power
thru numerous outrages and run lights and fridge besides the
furnace as needed.

Jim

How long can you run off of the batteries? Can they be charged with your
car?

I have 2 deep-cycle in parallel. They will run the fridge
for a couple of days. The oil furnace I ran for shorter periods
so I don't have a good figure.

Yes, you could charge off the car alternator. Might want to
put an ammeter in the circuit to limit load on the alt to some
reasonable figure/

Jim