DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   maximum opening in a stud wall (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/172528-maximum-opening-stud-wall.html)

allpurpose August 15th 06 12:16 AM

maximum opening in a stud wall

i have a 19' X 11' wall in which i want to install a recessed showcase
in the size of 10' X 2.5'. The showcase will be 10" deep, i.e. 4"
recessed + 6" outside. This is an interior wall between two commercial
spaces and which has 1-3/4"X4" studs every 16".

Is the opening for the recessed showcase within the safe limits of how
much the reframing of the wall can bear?

thanks

Joseph Meehan August 15th 06 01:41 AM

allpurpose wrote:
i have a 19' X 11' wall in which i want to install a recessed showcase
in the size of 10' X 2.5'. The showcase will be 10" deep, i.e. 4"
recessed + 6" outside. This is an interior wall between two commercial
spaces and which has 1-3/4"X4" studs every 16".

Is the opening for the recessed showcase within the safe limits of how
much the reframing of the wall can bear?

thanks

Without knowing if it is a load bearing wall no one will be able to help
you. You also may have problems because it is an opening between two
commercial spaces. Those things are generally covered under different and
far more restrictive codes than residential.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

allpurpose August 15th 06 11:02 PM

maximum opening in a stud wall

above the wall and along the entire length, there is an I beam which
makes me believe that the wall itself is not load bearing.

Joseph Meehan August 16th 06 12:56 AM

allpurpose wrote:
above the wall and along the entire length, there is an I beam which
makes me believe that the wall itself is not load bearing.

I fear a lot of people have made errors when they don't know for sure.
It is especially difficult here since it is a commercial environment and
construction standards can be different than most people are accustomed to.
Considering the consequences of making a mistake, it would be a good idea to
make sure.