DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   soffit vent screens, how to replace? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/172294-soffit-vent-screens-how-replace.html)

Linus August 12th 06 11:31 PM

soffit vent screens, how to replace?

house is about 30 years old with soffit vent screens in need of replacement.

They are imbedded in a cement-wiremesh and am wondering if it is possible to just cut
off the screens, clean, vacuum&blow away any obstructions and install a new screen by
just somehow attaching the new screen in some type of frame that could be screwed into
the vent opening?

in other words, if I cut away the screen in the overhang portion of the roof, is there
a replacement vent&screen that can be retrofitted from the outside or is this a job
that can only be done from inside of the attic?

rcf August 13th 06 02:06 AM

Linus wrote:
house is about 30 years old with soffit vent screens in need of replacement.

They are imbedded in a cement-wiremesh and am wondering if it is possible to just cut
off the screens, clean, vacuum&blow away any obstructions and install a new screen by
just somehow attaching the new screen in some type of frame that could be screwed into
the vent opening?

in other words, if I cut away the screen in the overhang portion of the roof, is there
a replacement vent&screen that can be retrofitted from the outside or is this a job
that can only be done from inside of the attic?

if I cut away the screen in the overhang portion of the roof, is there
a replacement vent&screen that can be retrofitted from the outside

Our handy man did exactly that for us. He made 40 diamond shaped
wooden frame with in the inside and then nailed them to the soffet.

GMach3 August 13th 06 02:50 AM

soffit vent screens, how to replace?

my neighbor just bought some of those stamped aluminum vent covers and
didn't worry about it. It thought it looked ok.

PK August 13th 06 03:23 AM

"Linus" wrote in message ...
house is about 30 years old with soffit vent screens in need of
replacement.

They are imbedded in a cement-wiremesh and am wondering if it is possible
to just cut off the screens, clean, vacuum&blow away any obstructions and
install a new screen by just somehow attaching the new screen in some type
of frame that could be screwed into the vent opening?

in other words, if I cut away the screen in the overhang portion of the
roof, is there a replacement vent&screen that can be retrofitted from the
outside or is this a job that can only be done from inside of the attic?

Linus, sure sounds okay to me ... cut them out and mount new screens/vents
on the surface over the hole. Depends on the look you are looking for - mine
are pretty cheap, mounted on the surface of the soffit and painted the same
color as the soffit/eaves. Looks okay and I tend not to spend too much time
looking at them.

http://www.cornerhardware.com/howto/ht076.html

Mine look just like these ones:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/he_hom...275822,00.html

PK

HeyBub August 13th 06 04:11 PM

Linus wrote:
house is about 30 years old with soffit vent screens in need of
replacement.
They are imbedded in a cement-wiremesh and am wondering if it is
possible to just cut off the screens, clean, vacuum&blow away any
obstructions and install a new screen by just somehow attaching the
new screen in some type of frame that could be screwed into the vent
opening?
in other words, if I cut away the screen in the overhang portion of
the roof, is there a replacement vent&screen that can be retrofitted
from the outside or is this a job that can only be done from inside
of the attic?

Outside. You can't possibly reach the soffits (overhang) from the attic.

I used the 6" wide aluminum gutter guard material from HD. Cheap, easy to
work with. Using 1/4 by 1.5" lathe, I built frames for the gutter-guard
material, stapled the mesh to the frames, and mounted the frames over the
exiting holes with screws. Paint first.

I did it this way because our original soffit vents were, like, six feet
long. I also put in dozens of commercial vents (each about one foot long).
You can't have too many soffit vents.