Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Springs for hanging curtains

Years ago it was possible to hang curtains on springs. I'm not
talking about a rod with a spring inside it, but a stretchable
tightly-coiled spring that was screwed into a wall using an eye at each
end.

Anyone know where to buy such springs?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Darrel" wrote in message
ups.com...
Years ago it was possible to hang curtains on springs. I'm not
talking about a rod with a spring inside it, but a stretchable
tightly-coiled spring that was screwed into a wall using an eye at each
end.

Anyone know where to buy such springs?

I have been installing them for 20 years come this October. Never seen
exactly what you mentioned.

I do think it would be possible. Find a spring, as in screen door spring,
that is about 2" less than the inside dimension of the place you want to
hang them. Two inches of stretch should give you enough tension to keep the
spring level.

The alternative is to use CTM 9/16 oval rodding or 3/8 round steel rodding
with spring pressure sockets on the end. You won't find either of these at
the BORG.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Darrel wrote:
Years ago it was possible to hang curtains on springs. I'm not
talking about a rod with a spring inside it, but a stretchable
tightly-coiled spring that was screwed into a wall using an eye at each
end.

Anyone know where to buy such springs?

I've seen this a few times on different shows on HGTV lately. I think
they were calling it "curtain wire" or something like that. On one show
there was special hardware for attaching it to the wall and tightening
it up a bit so it didn't sag. One situation they used it in was where
there were windows on both sides of a corner on the perpendicular walls,
and there was an eye bracket the wire went through at the corner - made
the whole window hardware situation much simpler than it might be with
standard products.

-Karen-
Posted to alt.home.repair

Years ago it was possible to hang curtains on springs. I'm not
talking about a rod with a spring inside it, but a stretchable
tightly-coiled spring that was screwed into a wall using an eye at each
end.

Anyone know where to buy such springs?

Yes, they were quite common. Often used on doors.
mebbe like this?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...173&lpage=none

lee

Posted to alt.home.repair

lee houston wrote:
Years ago it was possible to hang curtains on springs. I'm not
talking about a rod with a spring inside it, but a stretchable
tightly-coiled spring that was screwed into a wall using an eye at each
end.

Anyone know where to buy such springs?

Yes, they were quite common. Often used on doors.
mebbe like this?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...173&lpage=none

lee

It may not be pretty ,but I have used bungee cords, this way

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/10/06 08:03 pm Darrel wrote:

Years ago it was possible to hang curtains on springs. I'm not
talking about a rod with a spring inside it, but a stretchable
tightly-coiled spring that was screwed into a wall using an eye at each
end.

Anyone know where to buy such springs?

I remember things of this kind from UK many decades ago, but I don't
recall whether I've ever seen them anywhere else. It seemed to me that
they always sagged at least slightly except with the flimsiest of curtains.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sems I'm having trouble describing what I'm looking for. The "rod"
itself is nothing but a tightly coiled spring (about 5 or 6 mm diam.).
Cut the desired length and screw an eye bolt inside each end of the
spring. Fasten the spring to the wall with a screw through each eye
bolt, stretching it a little to keep it tight. Imagine using it to hang
a curtain over the rear window of a van. Something strictly cheap and
functional. Would only be used for light curtains.

cranky wrote:
lee houston wrote:
Years ago it was possible to hang curtains on springs. I'm not
talking about a rod with a spring inside it, but a stretchable
tightly-coiled spring that was screwed into a wall using an eye at each
end.

Anyone know where to buy such springs?

Yes, they were quite common. Often used on doors.
mebbe like this?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...173&lpage=none

lee

It may not be pretty ,but I have used bungee cords, this way

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Aug 2006 17:03:05 -0700, "Darrel"
wrote:

Years ago it was possible to hang curtains on springs. I'm not
talking about a rod with a spring inside it, but a stretchable
tightly-coiled spring that was screwed into a wall using an eye at each
end.

Anyone know where to buy such springs?

Why would you want to use springs? Seems to me it would be hard to
get them thru the cloth. If you dont want to use the commercial rods,
just use a piece of 1/4" steel rod and 2 eye hooks. Or 1/4" or 3/8"
wooden dowel. Thats all I use. I dont fuss with all those fancy and
costly curtain rods, hooks and stuff. On some windows I got some
commercial rods that are just a 3/8" hollow steel rod that expands.
They work fine too, and have some nicer brackets. As long as I dont
have to fuss with all those hooks and other nonsense, I'm happy. This
beats what I did when I was younger and would just nail the curtains
into the top of the woodwork where it meets the wall, using some small
nails !!! (Women seem to get offended by this)

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
On 10 Aug 2006 17:03:05 -0700, "Darrel"
They work fine too, and have some nicer brackets. As long as I dont
have to fuss with all those hooks and other nonsense, I'm happy. This
beats what I did when I was younger and would just nail the curtains
into the top of the woodwork where it meets the wall, using some small
nails !!! (Women seem to get offended by this)

Mark

Mark,

I guess I have been hanging around with Designing women to long. That even
offends me.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Darrel, kathy wrote:
DarrelJames wrote:

Years ago it was possible to hang curtains on springs. I'm not
talking about a rod with a spring inside it, but a stretchable
tightly-coiled spring that was screwed into a wall using an eye at each
end.
Anyone know where to buy such springs?

I am looking for the same thing. They had it when I lived in New Zealand. It
was covered in vinyl. I haven't found it in the US either!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ns-136852-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

DarrelJames wrote:

Years ago it was possible to hang curtains on springs. I'm not
talking about a rod with a spring inside it, but a stretchable
tightly-coiled spring that was screwed into a wall using an eye at each
end.
Anyone know where to buy such springs?

just found this:
--
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Expand-PVC-C...-/110830735306
good luck!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ns-136852-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Darrel, Icn2u wrote:
DarrelJames wrote:

Years ago it was possible to hang curtains on springs. I'm not
talking about a rod with a spring inside it, but a stretchable
tightly-coiled spring that was screwed into a wall using an eye at each
end.
Anyone know where to buy such springs?

I found them! I have also been looking. Found on eBay. Called curtain
rod, spring sash. So it is a curtain sash spring rod is how I would say
it. Search ebay with the following description and you should be able to
find them.

Newell 2 Pack, 20" - 36", Zinc, Curtain Rod Spring Sash A7004213411
| Add to watch list

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Darrel,

When I was growing up, it seemed like half the little old ladies I knew had little curtains over their pantry cupboards or porch windows or something hung in thin wire springs, 1/4th inch or so in diameter by however long. I just recently bought a house that is 125 years old and it is begging for little curtains hung on springs. But where, oh where do we find them? Surely there is some place to order them? I need some about 14 inches long and a couple about 42 inches long. If you find a good source for buying them, and not coated ones either, would you please email me? Thanks a million! And good luck in your search.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to beklousmith , Martha wrote:
beklousmith wrote:

Hi Darrel,
When I was growing up, it seemed like half the little old ladies I knew

had
little curtains over their pantry cupboards or porch windows or something

hung in thin wire springs, 1/4th inch or so in diameter by however long. I

just recently bought a house that is 125 years old and it is begging for

li
ttle curtains hung on springs. But where, oh where do we find them? Surely

there is some place to order them? I need some about 14 inches long and a

ouple about 42 inches long. If you find a good source for buying them, and

not coated ones either, would you please email me? Thanks a million! And

go
od luck in your search.

Found'em! 20-36 in. Zinc Spring Sash Rod 2 Pack
http://www.midlandhardware.com/394254.html#.Ve9Nqnvxi8U

Posted to alt.home.repair
snl snl is offline

replying to Darrel, snl wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3013395...&ul_noapp=true

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ns-136852-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Darrel, philip wrote:
Here you go, Darrel; 10 years later:
https://www.amazon.com/Levolor-Kirsc.../dp/B000PSFQHO

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ns-136852-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 8:14:05 AM UTC-5, philip wrote:

replying to Darrel, philip wrote:
Here you go, Darrel; 10 years later:
https://www.amazon.com/Levolor-Kirsc.../dp/B000PSFQHO

for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ns-136852-.htm

I think Darrel got ****ed off and just decided to walk around
his house buck naked with no thought that the neighbors might
be shocked.

Really Philip, do you think Darrel has been waiting 10 years
for you to come along with a solution???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 10:48:00 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 8:14:05 AM UTC-5, philip wrote:

replying to Darrel, philip wrote:
Here you go, Darrel; 10 years later:
https://www.amazon.com/Levolor-Kirsc.../dp/B000PSFQHO

for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ns-136852-.htm

I think Darrel got ****ed off and just decided to walk around
his house buck naked with no thought that the neighbors might
be shocked.

Really Philip, do you think Darrel has been waiting 10 years
for you to come along with a solution???

Darrel consulted his bother named Darrel and his other brother Darrel.

Darrel, Darrel and Darrel removed the curtains.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 12:48:05 PM UTC-5, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 8:14:05 AM UTC-5, philip wrote:

replying to Darrel, philip wrote:
Here you go, Darrel; 10 years later:
https://www.amazon.com/Levolor-Kirsc.../dp/B000PSFQHO

for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ns-136852-.htm

I think Darrel got ****ed off and just decided to walk around
his house buck naked with no thought that the neighbors might
be shocked.

Really Philip, do you think Darrel has been waiting 10 years
for you to come along with a solution???

You did hear what happened to Darrel didn't you. 10 years ago he was walking around his house naked fondling himself in clear view of the little old crazed devoutly religious Southern Baptist lady who lived next door. She was so upset that she grabbed her .50 cal Barrett Sniper Rifle, took careful aim and blew(no pun) Darrel's manhood off. Poor Darrel bled to death after losing his member. His 347 gerbils escaped their cages and ate him. It was a week before police found his skeletal remains and hundreds of fat gerbils. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fat Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 1:48:05 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 8:14:05 AM UTC-5, philip wrote:

replying to Darrel, philip wrote:
Here you go, Darrel; 10 years later:
https://www.amazon.com/Levolor-Kirsc.../dp/B000PSFQHO

for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ns-136852-.htm

I think Darrel got ****ed off and just decided to walk around
his house buck naked with no thought that the neighbors might
be shocked.

Really Philip, do you think Darrel has been waiting 10 years
for you to come along with a solution???

Gee, Phillip must have upset your apple cart by offering an answer.
An answer that probably makes no sense to you, but it's an answer just
the same.

Phillip doesn't have to run his answers by you in advance to make
sure they meet with your approval.

(Gosh, I wonder why that sounds so familiar...)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 2:58:24 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Phillip doesn't have to run his answers by you in advance to make
sure they meet with your approval.

(Gosh, I wonder why that sounds so familiar...)

As usual DummyDad has his bvd's in a knot. Proof you are
as stupid as Philip since neither of you can read dates.
Now do us all a favor and drop dead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 11:35:56 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 2:58:24 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Phillip doesn't have to run his answers by you in advance to make
sure they meet with your approval.

(Gosh, I wonder why that sounds so familiar...)

As usual DummyDad has his bvd's in a knot. Proof you are
as stupid as Philip since neither of you can read dates.
Now do us all a favor and drop dead.

Whoosh!

(As if my post had anything to do about dates)
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Darrel, Florentin wrote:
fabricville

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ns-136852-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Darrel, Lee Wickham wrote:
what you are looking for is known as a "Spring Sash Rod" do a search and
yes..they still make them.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ns-136852-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to maradcliff, Lee Wickham wrote:
So then what you are saying is just get some burlap sacks and use roofing
nails to attach them to the window casement? I can only imagine what happens
when the revenue iors came a callin' uninvited..
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/8g

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 00:14:03 GMT, Lee Wickham
m wrote:

So then what you are saying is just get some burlap sacks and use roofing
nails to attach them to the window casement?

What"s wrong with using cotton flour sacks and tacks?
Posted to alt.home.repair
AJC AJC is offline

replying to Darrel, AJC wrote:
I am looking for the same thing, I found them last year at Menards and they do
not have them this year. I need one that will stretch to 72 inches if you
find please let me know

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ns-136852-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Darrel, Cathleen wrote:
im looking for them also, no one else gets what i am talking about either

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ns-136852-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2017 7:14 AM, Cathleen wrote:
replying to Darrel, Cathleen wrote:
im looking for them also, no one else gets what i am talking about either

I have a set of those springs. We don't use them for curtains any more
but have built a playground with spring loaded swings and see saws for
gerbils. The little critters love playing on the as they bounce so
well. It has become very popular so you may find them in a pet store.
Look in the gerbil section.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 8:27:55 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/5/2017 7:14 AM, Cathleen wrote:
replying to Darrel, Cathleen wrote:
im looking for them also, no one else gets what i am talking about either

I have a set of those springs. We don't use them for curtains any more
but have built a playground with spring loaded swings and see saws for
gerbils. The little critters love playing on the as they bounce so
well. It has become very popular so you may find them in a pet store.
Look in the gerbil section.

I'm gonna start renting out my gerbils. The Internet really needs them. GERBIL POWER! ヽ(^o^)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Fuzzy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Darrel, Debi wrote:
I am looking for the same thing , have you found any and where

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ns-136852-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Darrel, Debi wrote:
Exactly what I need also

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ns-136852-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to maradcliff, Lizzy wrote:
_Kinda hard to do on a steel door.
_

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ns-136852-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Darrel, Janet Kinkade wrote:
yes, i'm looking for them too. we used them to keep sheer door panels on the
bottom of the curtain to keep the curtain taut, and prohibit it from blowing
sideways when the french door opened or closed

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ns-136852-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Darrel, Isabel wrote:
Here is where I found it:
https://www.curtainandbathoutlet.com/7-32-spring-sash

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ns-136852-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Darrel, Debra M wrote:
I'm looking for them too. This is what I found so far. My roommate's VW has
this type of wire for the curtains.
https://www.curtainandbathoutlet.com/checkout/cart/

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ns-136852-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Darrel, Dale wrote:
Darrel, I put them up on long glass doors to my computer room 0n 2001 in
Georgia (USA) to put sheers that I wanted bunched tightly. Recently I started
looking for them again for our new house, and cannot find them anywhere. I can
only assume some other curtain hanging technology has replaced them.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ns-136852-.htm