DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sealing grout with 511 Impregnator, second coat (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/172046-sealing-grout-511-impregnator-second-coat.html)

[email protected] August 10th 06 06:41 AM

Sealing grout with 511 Impregnator, second coat

Is it advisable to put a second coat on grout joints using 511
Impregnator? I noticed on the can the statement that "a second coat
may be necessary for some surfaces". I am only going over grout
joints (about one hour's work this afternoon) but I had a difficult
time determining if I was getting sealer on all of the grout (the clear
sealer just did not show up real well on the grout joints). I ended up
using a toothbrush to brush the sealer on the quarter-inch grout
joints.

My project is a very small bathroom with a tiled floor, partially tiled
walls and a tiled shower. I sure want the shower to be well sealed and
wonder about a second coat at least in that area. I have some sealer
left and I am considering brushing some more on the grout joints? I
also wonder if a second coat 24 hours after the first coat is the
acceptable.

Your comments and opinions are welcome.

Thanks, Terry

Rudy August 10th 06 07:33 AM

Sealing grout with 511 Impregnator, second coat

Is it advisable to put a second coat on grout joints using 511
Impregnator? I noticed on the can the statement that "a second coat
may be necessary for some surfaces". I am only going over grout
joints (about one hour's work this afternoon) but I had a difficult
time determining if I was getting sealer on all of the grout (the clear
sealer just did not show up real well on the grout joints).

My wife does 2 coats of AquaMix grout sealer annually in our tile shower
and two coats on the countertops.

I ended up using a toothbrush to brush the sealer on the quarter-inch grout
joints.

BTW, she uses a real boar bristle paint brush (which has better
absorption/carrying properties IMO than a nylon toothbrush)

We do use 511 as a sealer on our granite island.