Old September 5th 06, 11:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Black & Decker charger repair

wrote:
Rich256 wrote:

I have a Black & Decker PS160 charger - 12V. It stopped working, so I
opened it up to have a look. There are only 2 resistors in these
things. One of the two resistors has blown, probably because I left the
unit plugged in for too long and ruined one of my batteries.
If you bought the original with a credit card, it's possible the
original warranty was extended by an extra year. Or can you buy a B&D
tool that uses an identical charger and look at it?

If a resistor blew, I would expect the power transistor or triac
associated with it to have blown as well. I hope it's a discrete part
and not built into an IC.

Those chargers usually don't use transistors or traics. Just a
transformer, diode bridge and sometimes a dropping resistor.

I admit I've never seen the inside of a B&D charger, only DeWalt and
Ryobi units, but unless the battery pack contains some extra circuitry,
which I doubt it does, being a budget brand, a fast charger built like
that will be rough on the batteries.

I also doubt that it could be called a fast charger. Most of them the
transformer output is just enough to charge if left on long enough.
Similar to those battery operated devices that tell you to charge for at
least 10 hours before using.

A burned resistor I would guess could be due to a shorted cell in the
battery pack. Important to measure the battery voltage before doing
anything else. The pack has 10 cells. If the voltage doesn't get to
near 12 volts or is below 10 a cell is probably shorted.

I just looked it up and see it is a 12 volt charger. Uses a wall plug
transformer. And see others commenting that there is only two resistors
and they have the same problem of one burning out.

Old January 2nd 14, 04:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to wangchiliusa, Southerner wrote:
wangchiliusa wrote:
My PS 160 charger is busted too working only
every once in a while and I took it apart.

How do you get the charger apart? Do you have to cut it in the little
trough that goes around near the bottom? I tried prying mine open with a
flat blade screw driver but all it did was dig into the plastic without
separating it.

Old January 2nd 14, 05:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Jan 2014 03:44:01 +0000, Southerner
wrote:

replying to wangchiliusa, Southerner wrote:
wangchiliusa wrote:

Were these posts on alt.home.repair. If you changed the Subject,
they won't sort with prior posts of a different Subject.

If they posted years ago, they're probably not reading now. What was
the date on the posts.

My PS 160 charger is busted too working only
every once in a while and I took it apart.

How do you get the charger apart? Do you have to cut it in the little
trough that goes around near the bottom? I tried prying mine open with a
flat blade screw driver but all it did was dig into the plastic without
separating it.

I've never seen one, but if there is a label, try lifting up the label
and you may find screws underneath.

Old January 2nd 14, 05:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wangchiliusa wrote:
My PS 160 charger is busted too working only
every once in a while and I took it apart.

How do you get the charger apart? Do you have to cut it in the little
trough that goes around near the bottom? I tried prying mine open with a
flat blade screw driver but all it did was dig into the plastic without
separating it.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-B.../dp/B000GHYJ8G

Only $14,18 on Amazon. Pretty bad reviews, but if you can't rig
anything else to charege your drill's battieries, wortth it.

Souyld be able to use any other 12 volt charger, connect with wires
with alligator clips on each end.

Better yet, fix your old one, which is what you wanted in the first
place, but I happened to find this.
Old January 2nd 14, 02:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to micky , Southerner wrote:
NONONOmisc07 wrote:

On Thu, 02 Jan 2014 03:44:01 +0000, Southerner
Were these posts on alt.home.repair.

I have no idea where this was posted. I found it at
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ir-136519-.htm
and that is where I answered it.

NONONOmisc07 wrote:
If they posted years ago, they're probably not reading now. What was
the date on the posts.

That may very well be but I see many posts concerning the PS160 and even
if the original poster is no longer reading this others are.

NONONOmisc07 wrote:
I've never seen one, but if there is a label, try lifting up the label
and you may find screws underneath.

No, there is no label. It is a typical formed wall wart with a groove
about 1/4" from the bottom but I see no actual break in that groove and
prying inside the groove does nothing to separate it so I was asking if I
need to actually cut it inside of that groove to get it apart.

Old May 31st 14, 08:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to purple.acorn, KJ6EO wrote:
purple.acorn wrote:

I have a Black & Decker PS160 charger - 12V. It stopped working, so I
opened it up to have a look. There are only 2 resistors in these
things. One of the two resistors has blown, probably because I left the
unit plugged in for too long and ruined one of my batteries.
Black & Decker has not been able to help. The warranty is over, so they
told me to buy a new one. They said they don't have records of what
parts were used in the charger. I've looked high and low for someone
who might have a schematic, but no luck.
Here's what I'm pleading for:
I need someone who has the PS160 charger to look at the circuit board
and tell me the colors of the bands on resistor R2 (there is a label
visible under the resistor). It's the one right next to the LED. My
resistor is burnt and I can't see the middle band(s) at all. It looks
like one end is a brown band, and the other is likely blue but might be
green. Can't be sure because of the damage.
As always, any help is greatly appreciated.
JC

Did you ever figure out what the correct value of R2 was in the PS160? I
would expect it to
be something like 10 ohms.

Old February 13th 17, 12:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to purple.acorn, rmotley wrote:
Take a potentiometer rated pretty high such as a 5K ohm 2 watt. Solder a wire
to the wipe and another wire to either end. Connect these wires to your ohm
meter and adjust it for highest ohms. Now disconnect these wires from your
ohm meter and solder them to the circuit board where the resistors leads were.
(remove the resistor first).
Connect your multimeter to the output of the power supply and set it to read
DC volts. Plug in your power supply. Slowly turn the pot to decrease ohms
until you start seeing volts rise on your multimeter. When the volts reach
the level the power supply was intended to output stop. Disconnect the setup
and read the ohms value on the potentiometer . This is the value the resistor
needs to be. I did this with R7 in the wall wart.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ir-136519-.htm

Old February 22nd 17, 10:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to rmotley, Israel wrote:
I opened my PS160 charger which stopped working due to a failed transformer.
The circuit board was intact, the value of the R2 resistor is 8.2 ohm. Hope it
helps.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ir-136519-.htm