Posted to alt.home.repair

Default sourcing and running large utility wires through the attic

In my situation the Nat gas and fies box are far apart. I'm installing the
generator near the nat gas and running wire to the fuese box where the
transfer switch will be.

Its a 15kW unit so large (#2 minimum) wire will be needed to carry the
single phase power to the transfer switch.

I'm having trouble finding this in a bundle. Will I have to run individual
wires in a conduit? The run is ~140 ft.

Where's a good source for electrical wire of this size?

Posted to alt.home.repair

My default response would be running it in conduit, it keeps the
rodents off of it, and the individual wires are usually cheaper than
the bundle, off-setting at least part of the cost of the conduit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:

My default response would be running it in conduit, it keeps the
rodents off of it, and the individual wires are usually cheaper than
the bundle, off-setting at least part of the cost of the conduit.

Depending on how accurate the 140' measurement is, you're also close to
500' for the three conductors (reduced size ground) so you may get a
better price buying a full spool. Still need to buy just 140' or so of
the smaller wire for the ground.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mook Johnson" wrote in message

Where's a good source for electrical wire of this size?

I know this sound radical, but I'd try an electrical supply house.