DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   drywall & paint (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/171824-drywall-paint.html)

[email protected] August 8th 06 05:03 AM

drywall & paint

hi everyone

i'm in the process of finishing my bsmnt and i've put a second layer of
paint on the walls after two initial coats of primer. the joints are
flat and smooth, but for some reason the paint drying on the mud makes
the joints stand out. is there anyway to fix this at all? it's a bit
of an eye sore but overall not a huge deal.

thanks for reading

Phisherman August 8th 06 12:35 PM

drywall & paint

On 7 Aug 2006 21:03:24 -0700, wrote:

hi everyone

i'm in the process of finishing my bsmnt and i've put a second layer of
paint on the walls after two initial coats of primer. the joints are
flat and smooth, but for some reason the paint drying on the mud makes
the joints stand out. is there anyway to fix this at all? it's a bit
of an eye sore but overall not a huge deal.

thanks for reading

Mudding joints takes a few steps. Use 3 or 4 sizes of knives,
inspecting and sanding between each coat. Use a trouble light against
the wall and look at the joint with your head against the wall--that
way you will easily see the bumps, ridges, and areas that need
attention. Gloss paint will show defects more than flat paint.

RayV August 8th 06 12:58 PM

drywall & paint

wrote:
hi everyone

i'm in the process of finishing my bsmnt and i've put a second layer of
paint on the walls after two initial coats of primer. the joints are
flat and smooth, but for some reason the paint drying on the mud makes
the joints stand out. is there anyway to fix this at all? it's a bit
of an eye sore but overall not a huge deal.

thanks for reading

Flat or Eggshell paint, even semi-gloss in a darker color makes those
sanded areas stick out.

Norminn August 8th 06 04:55 PM

drywall & paint

wrote:
hi everyone

i'm in the process of finishing my bsmnt and i've put a second layer of
paint on the walls after two initial coats of primer. the joints are
flat and smooth, but for some reason the paint drying on the mud makes
the joints stand out. is there anyway to fix this at all? it's a bit
of an eye sore but overall not a huge deal.

thanks for reading

Is drywall fastened at all studs? If not, it might be bulging a tiny
bit. My only experience with taped joints showing was because they were
sanded and a tad smoother than the wall. I imagine that is your
problem. POSSIBLY, another coat of paint will help blend the difference
in texture. Flat wall paint, right? Allowed plenty of time for joint
compound, primer, and paint to dry, right?