DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   above ground pool sand filter problem (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/171755-above-ground-pool-sand-filter-problem.html)

houbs August 7th 06 03:45 PM

above ground pool sand filter problem

my pump keeps leaking after I backwash ,sometimes if I keep turning
back and forth I can get it to stop but tired of this and this time it
wont stop. what is the problem?

tom August 7th 06 04:57 PM

above ground pool sand filter problem

Are you sure it's the pump that's leaking? From your description, it
sounds like a valve. Tom

Dan Espen August 7th 06 05:50 PM

"houbs" writes:

my pump keeps leaking after I backwash ,sometimes if I keep turning
back and forth I can get it to stop but tired of this and this time it
wont stop. what is the problem?

Where is the water coming out?

How old is the valve at the top of the filter?
I just replaced mine at about 10 years due to leaks.

If the water is coming out the waste outlet, it's probably
the gasket, which I think you can replace separately,
but if the unit is old enough, go for a new valve body.

houbs August 7th 06 07:32 PM

above ground pool sand filter problem

yes it is coming out of the waste outlet and I can get it to leak slow
,but still more than a drip. I put a hose on it and ran it back to the
pool.still would like to know what and how to fix.I don't know how old
it is, a friend gave it to us but he is in Iraq now.

Dan Espen August 7th 06 08:43 PM

"houbs" writes:

yes it is coming out of the waste outlet and I can get it to leak slow
,but still more than a drip. I put a hose on it and ran it back to the
pool.still would like to know what and how to fix.I don't know how old
it is, a friend gave it to us but he is in Iraq now.

Simplest fix is new valve body.
They aren't terribly expensive.

Bob G. August 8th 06 02:32 PM

above ground pool sand filter problem

If this is that 6 way drum valve there is a spider gasket in there you
can replace. Any pool store has them hanging on the rack with the
other stuff that goes bad a lot. The pool guy can tell you how to get
it out on your particular valve.

Had this same problem 2-3 times over the last 30+ years my pool has
been in use.......
Honestly replacing the gasket is not at all hard nor complicated...
and not expensive...

Bob G.