DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Raise (jack up) a block and brick house? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/171625-raise-jack-up-block-brick-house.html)

[email protected] August 6th 06 03:51 PM

Raise (jack up) a block and brick house?

Is it remotely possible to raise a cinder block/air gap/brick house?
I'm doing major renovation and want a higher basement ceiling.
Lowering the basement floor will result in a bench footing that will
make it difficult to place furniture against the walls.

dpb August 6th 06 04:23 PM

wrote:
Is it remotely possible to raise a cinder block/air gap/brick house?
I'm doing major renovation and want a higher basement ceiling.

Almost anything is possible...not absolutely sure of construction from
your description but if it's a block foundation/basement wall and
conventional frame/brick veneer on top, then sure. It's easier if the
brick is supported on the baseplate so it goes w/ the rest of the
framing, but it's possible to make a supporting ledge. A competent
housemover should be able to do it.