Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Laying Tile on a Formica Backsplash

I want to lay 6"sq ceramic tile on our Formica backsplash. I will be
using Mapie Mastic to lay the tile but am wondering if the Formica
needs some sort of preparation or not. To me, it would seem that the
Formica would be too slick and not offer a good surface (as is) for
mastic to adhere to. BTW, removing the Formica is NOT an option
according to the Boss Wife!

P.S. Also the option offered in another list of replacing the Boss
Wife is not an option either (grin).

Regards,
NIK

Posted to alt.home.repair

Martik wrote:
Rough it up will 80 grit sandpaper

Is that all it would take, just a liittle roughing up?

If the laminate is not secure it may eventually
pull away from the wall. Are you covering ALL
the laminate?

I'm just doing 2 1/2 rows (15") right above the counter top. The
formica goes up twice that far thus the reason for not removing the
formica. It seems to be well glued to the wall. I tried pulling it at
the edge and it seems hard fast. With the tile also having 6
receptical covers and 2 electrical switch covers pulling the tile field
and the formica against the wall, I don't think it will come undone.

Should this 80 grit sanding be done with a sander or is all that is
needed is a light hand sanding?

Regards,
NIK

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Martik wrote:
Rough it up will 80 grit sandpaper

Is that all it would take, just a liittle roughing up?

If the laminate is not secure it may eventually
pull away from the wall. Are you covering ALL
the laminate?

I'm just doing 2 1/2 rows (15") right above the counter top. The
formica goes up twice that far thus the reason for not removing the
formica. It seems to be well glued to the wall. I tried pulling it at
the edge and it seems hard fast. With the tile also having 6
receptical covers and 2 electrical switch covers pulling the tile field
and the formica against the wall, I don't think it will come undone.

Should this 80 grit sanding be done with a sander or is all that is
needed is a light hand sanding?

You want to scratch the surface to give the mastic something to bite into,
maybe drill some 1/8" holes. Glue one tile down and test the strength when
it dries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Martik" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
Martik wrote:
[...]

Sanding should be sufficient. hand sanding if you feel fit, otherwise a
sander would be OK. looks are not important but don't get carried away and
sand the area not to be tiled. Just need to break the gloss, might not even
be necessary with a good mastic. Sanding will get any remaining grease and
dirt so its worth it from that standpoint.

If the laminate were weak I might suggest some drywall screws sunk flush to
hold it on but it sounds unnecessary in your case where the laminate is
secure, the substrate is solid and the tile is not very heavy.