DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Small Engine Troubleshooting (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/171169-small-engine-troubleshooting.html)

Colormegoneii August 2nd 06 04:11 AM

Small Engine Troubleshooting

I have a Craftsman, Eager-1, 6.75 HP vertical engine. It starts and
runs, but only until the gas that was pumped in through the primer bulb
is used up. The carb will not pull gasoline from the tank into the
engine to keep it running.

I've replaced the carb to engine gasket and the air cleaner to carb
gasket. The primer bulb works so that it appears to be sealed and
without leaks, yet it fails to pull fuel from the tank into the carb
bowl and on into the carb. Anys suggestions? I sure could use some
advice.

Colormegoneii

Chris Lewis August 2nd 06 04:21 AM

Small Engine Troubleshooting

According to Colormegoneii :
I have a Craftsman, Eager-1, 6.75 HP vertical engine. It starts and
runs, but only until the gas that was pumped in through the primer bulb
is used up. The carb will not pull gasoline from the tank into the
engine to keep it running.

I've replaced the carb to engine gasket and the air cleaner to carb
gasket. The primer bulb works so that it appears to be sealed and
without leaks, yet it fails to pull fuel from the tank into the carb
bowl and on into the carb. Anys suggestions? I sure could use some
advice.

In many cases, the fuel path for the primer and "continuous run"
are different. Eg: in some motors, there's two fuel lines into
the fuel tank. If the "run" one plugs, you'll get exactly the symptom
you see.

[I have a prehistoric chain saw that eats alternate fuel lines every
year or two.]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

DanG August 2nd 06 04:30 AM

Small Engine Troubleshooting

Float sticking or gunked up fuel passages in the carb. Drop the
bowl, clean out the crud, spray some carb cleaner through the
passages, run some injector cleaner through.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

s.com...

Stormin Mormon August 2nd 06 01:23 PM

Small Engine Troubleshooting

Sounds like a metering jet which is clogged. Some of the Craftsman
engines are made by Tecumseh.

Tip the mower on its side, and pull the nut from under the bottom of
the carb. Look for a tiny hole which is supposed to supply the gas.
The hole is aobut half way up, on the side. It's just about big enough
that you can barely see it. Hard to find something to clean this hole,
cause it's so small. Sometimes if you hold the bowl nut away from your
body and blast it with ether starting spray, it rinses out the hole.
(Shield your face and eyes; don't have any source of fire nearby).

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.