DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   insulation under porch (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/171148-insulation-under-porch.html)

mo August 1st 06 11:00 PM

insulation under porch

Hello all,
I have a closed in front porch and it has a crawl
space underneath. I want to insulate it for the winter.
It has exposed floor joists and I can see the subfloor.
My question is what type of insulation is best for this?
Also what is the correct way to install it?
I live in NJ where there is plenty of heat and humidity.
And could be very cold in winter. Thanks

Martik August 1st 06 11:21 PM

insulation under porch

"mo" wrote in message
Hello all,
I have a closed in front porch and it has a crawl
space underneath. I want to insulate it for the winter.
It has exposed floor joists and I can see the subfloor.
My question is what type of insulation is best for this?
Also what is the correct way to install it?
I live in NJ where there is plenty of heat and humidity.
And could be very cold in winter. Thanks

If there is no chance of it getting wet just use fiberglass batts and poly
for a vapour barrier, otherwise look for a rigid type insulation.

Dick August 2nd 06 01:25 AM

insulation under porch

Keep poly on the warm side like the floor not the bottom of the insulation
as you will get condensation. If you staple the plastic between the joists
calk the seems and then put insulation in place between the joists
(fibreglass). Then use something like a stucco wire to keep rodents out of
the insulation and as a finish to keep insulation in place. I assume you
have a crawl space. That works for me in Canada. Styrofoam is a good
alternative as mentioned and is better if you have a less than perfect dry
space, but more expensive. Home Depot sells a not ichy insulation as well if
you don t like to deal with fibre glass.

Tony Hwang August 2nd 06 02:26 AM

insulation under porch

Martik wrote:
"mo" wrote in message

Hello all,
I have a closed in front porch and it has a crawl
space underneath. I want to insulate it for the winter.
It has exposed floor joists and I can see the subfloor.
My question is what type of insulation is best for this?
Also what is the correct way to install it?
I live in NJ where there is plenty of heat and humidity.
And could be very cold in winter. Thanks

If there is no chance of it getting wet just use fiberglass batts and poly
for a vapour barrier, otherwise look for a rigid type insulation.

Hi,
Also skirting has to be insulated as well if there is one.

Pat August 2nd 06 02:47 AM

insulation under porch

If it's enclosed on the bottom, you might also consider putting the
poly on the ground and weighting it down with pea-stone. That'll keep
the ground mosture out but won't do anything for the moisture in the
air.

[email protected] August 2nd 06 02:55 AM

insulation under porch

it will cost more but I would get the foam in place closed cell, its a
self vapor barrier:) all studs must ber open.

I would still put heavy plastic on the ground and leave lots of vents
for the crawl space so moisture doesnt accumulate

[email protected] August 2nd 06 04:38 AM

insulation under porch

On 1 Aug 2006 18:55:50 -0700, "
wrote:

it will cost more but I would get the foam in place closed cell, its a
self vapor barrier:) all studs must ber open.

I would still put heavy plastic on the ground and leave lots of vents
for the crawl space so moisture doesnt accumulate

And no matter what you do, prepare for rodents. They love nesting in
insulation. Ideally, I'd probably put tin over the insulation, but I
know that can be costly.

-----
In a perfect world, there would be more cats than rodents !!!!

Mark