Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fix for garage door tear

One of the panels on my metal garage door has a small tear/rip on the
inside edge. It is very visible on the inside of the garage, and is a
little bit visible on the outside. The door came with the house when
we bought it several years ago. The torsion spring broke and we're
replacing it next week.

What are options for a temporary fix to keep the rip from spreading?
Replacing the whole door would be really really hard to afford for me
right now. Are there any websites with details on this type of repair?

Thanks,
GP

Posted to alt.home.repair

I assume it's aluminum. Steel does not generally tear.
Get a piece of aluminum, pop rivet it on, and paint to match the door,
or paint the whole door. The patch should help secure the crack from
further tearing. I'd apply silicone caulk behind the patch on the
exterior to prevent freezing water in winter from pushing the patch
off.

Or, you can use fiberglass autobody patching materials, but I think
the riveted metal is much easier, cheaper, and probably will hold
better.

You might also see if you can buy a replacement panel from the MFG.

Mark