DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Leaky Velux (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/171101-leaky-velux.html)

[email protected] August 1st 06 03:52 PM

Leaky Velux

I have just had two velux skylights installed. Unfortunately one of
them is leaking very slightly from the corner. The contractors have
inspected and tightened up the flashing. Apparantly they can find no
other reason for the problem and I was wondering if anyone had had a
similar problem and is so how was it resolved? I am reluctant pay for
a Velux technician until I have got the contractor to explore every
possibility!

tom August 1st 06 06:36 PM

Leaky Velux

You need someone with flashing experience to inspect the skylight. Did
the contractor use the factory supplied flashing kit? A possible factor
is the type of rain you had when the leak became apparent. Strong
winds_might_cause an otherwise proper flashing job to evince a leak,
but the flashers that come with a Velux are way oversized, and it'd be
hard to blow any water up into the joint. You don't say where (top or
bottom) the leak is showing up (I suspect bottom), if the skylights are
very close to each other, or if the contractor's efforts were
successful. I'd stay on the contractor until it's either repaired or
replaced. Tom

[email protected] August 1st 06 06:51 PM

Leaky Velux

Where exactly is it leaking from? Is it in an area where it looks like
flashing or is it an area that looks like it's leaking from the actual
window itself?

My bet is that the contractor did not correctly install the flashing.
Also, not sure what exactly "tighening up the flashing" means. Either
the flashing is installed correctly or it isn't. Who did the install?
Do they have good references and experience doing skylights?

MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC August 1st 06 06:59 PM

Leaky Velux

Have you tried talking to Velux (1-866-358-3589)? On a new install,
especily if the contractor used a Velux flashing kit, they they may be
willing to send out a tech rep to take a look w/o charge.