DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wood vanity top? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/171071-wood-vanity-top.html)

[email protected] August 1st 06 05:43 AM

Wood vanity top?

Hi,

I know that it is common kitchen counters to be made of wood (are those
called butcher block counters?), but what about vanity tops. My wife
and I both dislike laminate, granite and marble.I guess that leaves us
with wood. Can this be done with proper protection and what would that
protection be? And where could I get the materials appropriate for
that?

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

yourname August 1st 06 04:18 PM

Wood vanity top?

wrote:
Hi,

I know that it is common kitchen counters to be made of wood (are those
called butcher block counters?), but what about vanity tops. My wife
and I both dislike laminate, granite and marble.I guess that leaves us
with wood. Can this be done with proper protection and what would that
protection be? And where could I get the materials appropriate for
that?

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

It is pretty difficult to keep it looking good. Water has a way of
getting under the finish where the sink meets the wood. I would think if
you were really careful in sealing it there and diligent about not
letting water collect, it would be ok. Probably at least until you
wanted to remodel again

[email protected] August 1st 06 07:00 PM

Wood vanity top?

wrote:
Hi,

I know that it is common kitchen counters to be made of wood (are those
called butcher block counters?), but what about vanity tops. My wife
and I both dislike laminate, granite and marble.I guess that leaves us
with wood. Can this be done with proper protection and what would that
protection be? And where could I get the materials appropriate for
that?

You might want to read up on the procedures used in laying up a
fiberglass
covered wooden boat. The epoxy saturated fiberglass will let the
natural wood
show through and will prevent problems associated with water. I have
built
several boats with wood/fiberglass covering which were strong and quite
tough
and abrasion resistant.

Goedjn August 1st 06 07:42 PM

Wood vanity top?

On 1 Aug 2006 11:00:50 -0700, wrote:

wrote:
Hi,

I know that it is common kitchen counters to be made of wood (are those
called butcher block counters?), but what about vanity tops. My wife
and I both dislike laminate, granite and marble.I guess that leaves us
with wood. Can this be done with proper protection and what would that
protection be? And where could I get the materials appropriate for
that?

You might want to read up on the procedures used in laying up a
fiberglass
covered wooden boat. The epoxy saturated fiberglass will let the
natural wood
show through and will prevent problems associated with water. I have
built
several boats with wood/fiberglass covering which were strong and quite
tough
and abrasion resistant.

Skip the fiberglass, and just lay on the epoxy. You don't
need the tensile strength of the glass in this application.
Or you could do glass, or ceramic, or stainless, or
copper....

Locutus August 1st 06 08:52 PM

Wood vanity top?

wrote in message

[...]