Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circular Saw Burning/Smoking Problem

Hello all,

As an intermediate DIY'r, I am surprised to be having
trouble with my new circular saw. I am attempting to cut through 1''
stair noses, but my brand new Skill 7 1/4'' saw can barely cut through
the wood and smokes excessivly. I finally used a jig saw to finish the

cut and noticed that the wood was black from burning.

Any thoughts? I've never experienced this with my 18v Ryobi cordless
saw, and I use it pretty hard. This saw even smoked while cutting a
1'' bamboo stair tread, which the Ryobi cut effortlessly.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm pretty sure that it is not. The arrows on the blade are going the
same direction as the arrow on the saw, thus the teeth are pointed
upwards at the front of the saw (if that makes any sense). Anything
else that could cause this? Otherwise, its back to the home depot and
pray they return it.

Click Fraud wrote:
wrote:

I am attempting to cut through 1''
stair noses, but my brand new Skill 7 1/4'' saw can barely cut through
the wood and smokes excessivly.

Is the blade on backwards?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe,

Have you tried using the same blade with your cordless? Is the blade
sharp and correct for the work? Why do you think this is a saw problem
rather than a blade problem?

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave,

I can't use the same blade as the cordless is a 5.5'' and the skil
corded is a 7.25''. I'm inclined to think that this possibly a saw
problem because the blade is new and I am fairly confident it is
installed properly. I don't know what else to think, I'm quite
surprised to be having this substantial of a problem on such a mild
job.

jm

David Martel wrote:
Joe,

Have you tried using the same blade with your cordless? Is the blade
sharp and correct for the work? Why do you think this is a saw problem
rather than a blade problem?

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

As an intermediate DIY'r, I am surprised to be having
trouble with my new circular saw. I am attempting to cut through 1''
stair noses, but my brand new Skill 7 1/4'' saw can barely cut through
the wood and smokes excessivly. I finally used a jig saw to finish the

cut and noticed that the wood was black from burning.

Any thoughts? I've never experienced this with my 18v Ryobi cordless
saw, and I use it pretty hard. This saw even smoked while cutting a
1'' bamboo stair tread, which the Ryobi cut effortlessly.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Noticing that you have already replied that the blade appears to be on
correctly I must ask if you are using the blade that came with the saw?

The usually aren't worth the time it takes to install them. Buy a carbide
blade of the proper size and see how that cuts.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would guess it is the blade. If you are doing a free cut, then there is
nothing to bind like if your rip fence is misaligned on a table saw. Get a
good general purpose carbide blade and try again.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

As an intermediate DIY'r, I am surprised to be having
trouble with my new circular saw. I am attempting to cut through 1''
stair noses, but my brand new Skill 7 1/4'' saw can barely cut through
the wood and smokes excessivly. I finally used a jig saw to finish the

cut and noticed that the wood was black from burning.

Any thoughts? I've never experienced this with my 18v Ryobi cordless
saw, and I use it pretty hard. This saw even smoked while cutting a
1'' bamboo stair tread, which the Ryobi cut effortlessly.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"jmyszka" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dave,

I can't use the same blade as the cordless is a 5.5'' and the skil
corded is a 7.25''. I'm inclined to think that this possibly a saw
problem because the blade is new and I am fairly confident it is
installed properly. I don't know what else to think, I'm quite
surprised to be having this substantial of a problem on such a mild
job.

You either have the blade on backwards, or a very dull blade. Hit
any nails recently?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

They should take it back if it was a recent purchase. Take a piece of burnt
wood along. Check to see if the blade [left to right or right to left] is
square to the foot and does not wobble excessively.

Steve

oups.com...

Click Fraud wrote:
wrote:

I am attempting to cut through 1''
stair noses, but my brand new Skill 7 1/4'' saw can barely cut through
the wood and smokes excessivly.

Is the blade on backwards?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buy a new sawblade, and put the new sawblade on.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

As an intermediate DIY'r, I am surprised to be having
trouble with my new circular saw. I am attempting to cut through 1''
stair noses, but my brand new Skill 7 1/4'' saw can barely cut through
the wood and smokes excessivly. I finally used a jig saw to finish
the

cut and noticed that the wood was black from burning.

Any thoughts? I've never experienced this with my 18v Ryobi cordless
saw, and I use it pretty hard. This saw even smoked while cutting a
1'' bamboo stair tread, which the Ryobi cut effortlessly.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, so get a sawblade with a nicotine patch. Seriously. Replace the
blade.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"mm" wrote in message
On 31 Jul 2006 14:32:13 -0700, wrote:

Any thoughts? I've never experienced this with my 18v Ryobi cordless
saw, and I use it pretty hard. This saw even smoked while cutting a

Smoking in saws is bad. See if you can get it to cut out smoking, or
at least switch to filters.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 31 Jul 2006 16:43:46 -0700, "jmyszka"
wrote:

Dave,

I can't use the same blade as the cordless is a 5.5'' and the skil
corded is a 7.25''. I'm inclined to think that this possibly a saw
problem because the blade is new and I am fairly confident it is
installed properly. I don't know what else to think, I'm quite
surprised to be having this substantial of a problem on such a mild
job.

I got a small electric chain saw at a yard sale, and it would barely
cut. I was trying to figure out how to sharpen it, when I gradually
realized the chain was on backwards.

In a circular saw the points and openings of the teeth should point up
in front. Because the blade turns clockwise when viewed from the
left.

jm

David Martel wrote:
Joe,

Have you tried using the same blade with your cordless? Is the blade
sharp and correct for the work? Why do you think this is a saw problem
rather than a blade problem?

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Click Fraud wrote:
wrote:

I am attempting to cut through 1''
stair noses, but my brand new Skill 7 1/4'' saw can barely cut through
the wood and smokes excessivly.

Is the blade on backwards?

Oops. I didn't see the "Skill saw." Sorry,
forget what I said.

Possible causes are a poor blade, saw blade not
parallel to the tracking edge of the saw, end play
of the bearings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In addition to what others have said, occasionally wood will warp when
cut in a direction which tightens it at the trailing edge of the cut.
This "clamping" effect can cause a problem like yours. Or, if you are
trying to do a curved (jig saw) cut, that will burn the wood, too.
But I would go with a new blade, a carbide one. I use a carbide blade
for all my work; normal rip or cross-cut blades do not last on anything
but light weight cutting. --Phil

wrote:

Hello all,

As an intermediate DIY'r, I am surprised to be having
trouble with my new circular saw. I am attempting to cut through 1''
stair noses, but my brand new Skill 7 1/4'' saw can barely cut through
the wood and smokes excessivly. I finally used a jig saw to finish the

cut and noticed that the wood was black from burning.

Any thoughts? I've never experienced this with my 18v Ryobi cordless
saw, and I use it pretty hard. This saw even smoked while cutting a
1'' bamboo stair tread, which the Ryobi cut effortlessly.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jmyszka, Jack Lindsey wrote:
i read where if the fence is not properly lined up will make bad cuts or
burning
saw blade mis alighnment. use a capenter square, or exact spacer, set
screws in top of fence
loosen and adjust fence to front and back tighten set screws

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...em-133535-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 5:44:05 AM UTC-5, Jack Lindsey wrote:
replying to jmyszka, Jack Lindsey wrote:
i read where if the fence is not properly lined up will make bad cuts or
burning
saw blade mis alighnment. use a capenter square, or exact spacer, set
screws in top of fence
loosen and adjust fence to front and back tighten set screws

Unfortunately the OP has passed away, mainly because you waited 11 years to answer his
question. He never finished the stairs and one evening he tripped going down and broke his
neck. His son inherited the crappy circular saw and is now screwing up projects on his
own house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 5:58:24 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 5:44:05 AM UTC-5, Jack Lindsey wrote:
replying to jmyszka, Jack Lindsey wrote:
i read where if the fence is not properly lined up will make bad cuts or
burning
saw blade mis alighnment. use a capenter square, or exact spacer, set
screws in top of fence
loosen and adjust fence to front and back tighten set screws

Unfortunately the OP has passed away, mainly because you waited 11 years to answer his
question. He never finished the stairs and one evening he tripped going down and broke his
neck. His son inherited the crappy circular saw and is now screwing up projects on his
own house.

The 345 gerbils really miss him. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Kerf Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jmyszka, Lovefishing wrote:
I to am having that problem with the last three blades I put in my skilsaw.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...em-133535-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jmyszka, Tania Wilfrad wrote:
I faced this issue - it was a brand new blade, so no doubt on the sharpness
here. Yet, on my very first cut itself the wood started smoking, and the saw
would not go in as smoothly as it should be.. But the cut was not that bad at
all, and that made me doubly confused. Later on, after reading through
multiple posts, including this forum, i realized that i made the mistake of
putting it on in the reverse direction - actually, the blade was meant for a
standard clockwise rotation cut, but my machine ( a cheap one ) was expecting
an anti-clockwise blade.

I just reversed the blade, and voila! burning stopped, cuts are much more
cleaner

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...em-133535-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jmyszka, Richard I Harris wrote:
Were you using a square to guide the saw straight through the cut? If not, the
saw could bind, resin build up and the now-dirty blade start smoking.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...em-133535-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Richard I Harris, Ed S wrote:
Replaced my Circular Skilsaw, which had same blade for over 10 years, with
brand new blade. All the videos said have the writing side of the blade
facing out, but in the end, the blade was on backwards, and hence the smoke
and burn. It's not a problem with saw, or anything else, the bottom line is
the blade goes the opposite way you would think and assume. I turned it
around and perfect cuts with no smoke.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...em-133535-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jmyszka, Tom wrote:
My Ryobi cordless is smoking out the side circular saw .does this mean I burnt
it up or how do I fix it

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...em-133535-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to DerbyDad03, Smokey wrote:
😂😂😂

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...em-133535-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Beware of poorly written owner's manuals. You might think you followed directions to the letter. And then discover like I did that the pictures don't always match reality. In my case the markings (holes) of the blade intended to show blade rotation were backward from what the manual shows. So yes, the blade was backward and caused smoking and lousy cuts. It's true that before trying a cut the teeth are the best indicator of proper blade orientation if you know what to look for. In my case the teeth are shaped so that it's hard for a newbie to tell at a glance whether they're "pointing up" at the front of the saw. I thought the teeth were pointing up, and those dang holes in the saw were the same orientation as shown in the manual. But it was wrong. Once the blade was mounted correctly it cut easily and straight without smoking. The business edge of the teeth should rotate "toward and into" the saw (or "up") at the front where it cuts. Looks to me like there are two surefire ways to know if you've got the blade right or wrong, regardless of any blade markings. The teeth can tell you. And the smoke and rough cuts do too.