Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Seeking advice for sump pump drain pipe

Our 1960 split level has a sump pump in the basement that kicks on 5-10
times per day (we live in upstate NY in a region with clay soil and a
high water table). When we first moved in, the sump drained directly
into the main house drain and out to the sewer (a no-no in most
municipalities). We corrected this and the sump now drains out to the
back yard (approx 20ft from the house).

I would like to bury the drain pipe and have it run 30+ ft away from
the house. However, I'm not sure how deep to bury the pipe.

Our frost line is quite deep here (42", I believe - again, upstate NY).
But, since this is a drain pipe (that should be empty unless the pump
is actually running), do I need to go that deep? Can I get away with,
say, 2 feet?