DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   indicating wall locations with tape (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/170797-indicating-wall-locations-tape.html)

[email protected] July 29th 06 10:48 PM

indicating wall locations with tape

so in my house (built 1955), a wall in the living room does not have a
grounded outlet and i need one there so i want to run an extension
cord/plug up from the basement. in the basement, above the drop
ceilings, there is a long piece of masking tape (ancient and unmarked)
that runs right about where i have roughly measured the wall on the
floor above it to be.

is it customary to mark the location of a wall of the floor above with
tape?

thanks everyone.

Flank July 30th 06 12:06 AM

wrote:
so in my house (built 1955), a wall in the living room does not have a
grounded outlet and i need one there so i want to run an extension
cord/plug up from the basement.

Why do you want to go through this for the benefit of having a ground?

ameijers July 30th 06 04:41 AM

indicating wall locations with tape

wrote in message
oups.com...
so in my house (built 1955), a wall in the living room does not have a
grounded outlet and i need one there so i want to run an extension
cord/plug up from the basement. in the basement, above the drop
ceilings, there is a long piece of masking tape (ancient and unmarked)
that runs right about where i have roughly measured the wall on the
floor above it to be.

is it customary to mark the location of a wall of the floor above with
tape?

Running extension cords through walls and floors is a no-no, for good
reason. If it starts a fire, your insurance company will likely decline to
cover the damage. If you need a new or upgraded outlet on that wall, install
one, or pay a an electrician to do it properly if you don't know how. Sound
like good access from basement, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

aem sends....

Mike Paulsen July 30th 06 08:43 AM

wrote:
so in my house (built 1955), a wall in the living room does not have a
grounded outlet and i need one there so i want to run an extension
cord/plug up from the basement. in the basement, above the drop
ceilings, there is a long piece of masking tape (ancient and unmarked)
that runs right about where i have roughly measured the wall on the
floor above it to be.

is it customary to mark the location of a wall of the floor above with
tape?

It may appear unmarked, but if you illuminate the tape with a UV light
you'll be able to read the original message. It most likely reads, "No
nails - waste pipe directly above."

thanks everyone.

No problem.