Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Squeeking door hinges

My door hinges sqeek really bad. I've tried different stuff, always back in
a week or so. I don't want to use wd-40 all the time, the spray goes on the
door and trim and just doesn't last.
Any and all suggestions welcome.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimmy" wrote in message
.net...
My door hinges sqeek really bad. I've tried different stuff, always back in a
week or so. I don't want to use wd-40 all the time, the spray goes on the door
and trim and just doesn't last.
Any and all suggestions welcome.

Use a real lubricant? 3 in 1, DuraLube, LiquidWrench, heck even a drop of motor
oil. Any of those "real" lubricants will do much better than WD-40 which is
better at cleaning really than anything else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:51:31 GMT, "Jimmy"
wrote:

My door hinges sqeek really bad. I've tried different stuff, always back in
a week or so. I don't want to use wd-40 all the time, the spray goes on the
door and trim and just doesn't last.
Any and all suggestions welcome.

TIA

If there are 3 hinges, that can be an indication that the door is
mounted improperly and the hinges are out of line. Nothing to do but
pull the nails along that side of the frame and reshim the door.

Or shim the hinges with pieces of cardboard until they line up.

dickm
Posted to alt.home.repair

As one poster pointed out, make sure the hinges are in line -- shim as
needed. Then, remove the hinge pins one at a time and LIGHTLY grease
with a LITTLE non-migrating grease, like "white lube." Put the pins
back in, and that should do the trick. WD-40 is basically kerosene, and
is good to loosen things up, but is not a long-term lubricant. Regular
oils will bleed all over the place, though a single drop or two usually
shouldn't be a problem. I've had better results with the grease
approach.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My door hinges sqeek really bad. I've tried different stuff, always back in
a week or so. I don't want to use wd-40 all the time, the spray goes on the
door and trim and just doesn't last.
Any and all suggestions welcome.

TIA

Tap the top of the hinge with a hammer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Remove the hinge pins, one at a time, mount the pin in your favorite
electric drill. Use a fine grade steel wool or scotchbrite pad and
turn on the drill and clean the hinge pin top to bottom. Add a bit
of good lubricant and replace the pin. Repeat the process for the
remaining pins. Should take care of the problem.

If you have problems getting the pin(s) up, juse a 4 or 6 penny
finishing nail and drive the pin up until you can get a chisel or
screw driver under the head. Most hinges have a small hole in
the bottom of them.

Good Luck

--
______________
lvMMMCDLXXIX+1
"Jimmy" wrote in message
.net...
My door hinges sqeek really bad. I've tried different stuff, always back
in a week or so. I don't want to use wd-40 all the time, the spray goes on
the door and trim and just doesn't last.
Any and all suggestions welcome.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:51:31 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Jimmy" quickly quoth:

My door hinges sqeek really bad. I've tried different stuff, always back in
a week or so. I don't want to use wd-40 all the time, the spray goes on the
door and trim and just doesn't last.
Any and all suggestions welcome.

Here's what I do for long, squeak-free life:

1) Remove 3 hinge pins.
2) Set door aside.
3) Soak hinge pins in degreaser and/or clean with scotchbrite pad
until shiny.
4) Take a wire brush (brass/bronze gun cleaning brushes work well, so
buy extras for that use only) to the female portion of the hinges.
Blow out with compressed air.
5) Use a graphited liquid lube on the hinge pins and all contact areas
of the hinges.
6) Reinstall door and wipe off excess graphite lube from hinges.
7) Remove each hinge pin every few years and relube with graphite.

The door will never squeak again.

Alternative to removing the door, remove each hinge set and soak in
cleaner, lube, and reinstall before doing the next set. This will
allow you to clean/buff and de-paint/repaint before reinstalling, too.

--
I define comfort as self-acceptance. When we finally
learn that self-care begins and ends with ourselves, we
Posted to alt.home.repair

What would happen if you coated the threads with JB Weld? Just be
sure the water is turned off and everything is dry before you do it.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimmy wrote:
My door hinges sqeek really bad. I've tried different stuff, always back

in
a week or so. I don't want to use wd-40 all the time, the spray goes on

the
door and trim and just doesn't last.

Door hinges are designed for easy removal:
you just drive the pin upwards with a blunt
nail or any rod narrow enough to fit. So:
1. You can remove the pins and remove the
whole door; then sand any edges of either
hinge that shows signs of wear or scraping.
Grease with automobile hinge lubricant, then
reassemble.
2. When oiling from outside, mask the wood
before you spray the metal.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

White lithium spray works for me. Open the door, and then spray from
the inside of the hinge.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
Jimmy wrote:
My door hinges sqeek really bad. I've tried different stuff,

always back
in
a week or so. I don't want to use wd-40 all the time, the spray

goes on
the
door and trim and just doesn't last.

Door hinges are designed for easy removal:
you just drive the pin upwards with a blunt
nail or any rod narrow enough to fit. So:
1. You can remove the pins and remove the
whole door; then sand any edges of either
hinge that shows signs of wear or scraping.
Grease with automobile hinge lubricant, then
reassemble.
2. When oiling from outside, mask the wood
before you spray the metal.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RobertPatrick" wrote in message
My door hinges sqeek really bad. I've tried different stuff, always
back in a week or so. I don't want to use wd-40 all the time, the
spray goes on the door and trim and just doesn't last.
Any and all suggestions welcome.

TIA

Remove the pins from the hinges. Rub a bar of soap (don't wet it) on the
pins. Put the pins back and you're all set with no squeaks for a long
time.

parafin. Also clean and polish hinges and pins. Replace cheap rusty hindges
with good quality or even with new cheap ones. Even the cheap ones will go
quite a few years with no problems.