DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   installing a fiberglass bathtub (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/170591-installing-fiberglass-bathtub.html)

drop}[email protected] July 28th 06 03:32 AM

installing a fiberglass bathtub

Hi I am remodelling a bathroom and installing a 30inch by 60inch
fiberglass tub and surround, two piece unit. The tub has two small
adjustable bolts in the inside and just the 60inch edge on the near
side that contacts the floor. My question is I have read some place
about a bed of mortar that the tub should sit on. Is this necessary
or could I use expandable foam? Better yet is there a good pictured
doit web site?

marson July 28th 06 03:38 AM

wrote:
Hi I am remodelling a bathroom and installing a 30inch by 60inch
fiberglass tub and surround, two piece unit. The tub has two small
adjustable bolts in the inside and just the 60inch edge on the near
side that contacts the floor. My question is I have read some place
about a bed of mortar that the tub should sit on. Is this necessary
or could I use expandable foam? Better yet is there a good pictured
doit web site?

did your tub come with installation instructions? go by them if in
doubt. some require mortar, some don't. definitely don't use
expanding foam as it could push your tub up. i know plumbers who use
setting type drywall joint compound, also known as "hot mud". easy sand
90 is one brand. pretty simple...just blob some mud on the floor and
set your tub.

[email protected] July 28th 06 03:52 AM

installing a fiberglass bathtub

i put in a fg tub some years back, the directions didn't mention ay
mortar bed, and i didn't put one in. the thing holds together well;
when you're standing in it, there's nothing underneath you. just you,
fiberglass, air, floor. i had doubts about it as well but it seems ok.