DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Non-mains heating (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/170497-non-mains-heating.html)

[email protected] July 27th 06 10:15 AM

Non-mains heating

I wish to find out what heating solutions there are that don't connect
to the mains electricity or gas supply. Something that could be used to
heat a single room or so. I thought that there were oil burning
heaters, but the ones I find online are generally large "permanent"
heaters. Wood pellet burning stoves seem to need proper installation
and a hearth. Are there any types of heating that are worth looking at?
I would prefer something small and relatively cheap-ish, which can be
plonked down in a carpeted room as a heater.

Travis Jordan July 27th 06 12:27 PM

Non-mains heating

wrote:
I wish to find out what heating solutions there are that don't connect
to the mains electricity or gas supply. Something that could be used
to heat a single room or so. I thought that there were oil burning
heaters, but the ones I find online are generally large "permanent"
heaters. Wood pellet burning stoves seem to need proper installation
and a hearth. Are there any types of heating that are worth looking
at? I would prefer something small and relatively cheap-ish, which
can be plonked down in a carpeted room as a heater.

Propane or kerosene heaters are in wide use in the US. Here is one
reputable brand:

http://www.mrheater.com/

Travis Jordan July 27th 06 12:31 PM

Non-mains heating

Travis Jordan wrote:
wrote:
I wish to find out what heating solutions there are that don't
connect to the mains electricity or gas supply. Something that
could be used to heat a single room or so. I thought that there
were oil burning heaters, but the ones I find online are generally
large "permanent" heaters. Wood pellet burning stoves seem to need
proper installation and a hearth. Are there any types of heating
that are worth looking at? I would prefer something small and
relatively cheap-ish, which can be plonked down in a carpeted room
as a heater.

Propane or kerosene heaters are in wide use in the US. Here is one
reputable brand:

http://www.mrheater.com/

I see you are posting from London. Perhaps this will be of use:

http://www.mobilegas.co.uk/mobileheater/index.htm

Joseph Meehan July 27th 06 12:35 PM

Non-mains heating

wrote:
I wish to find out what heating solutions there are that don't connect
to the mains electricity or gas supply. Something that could be used
to heat a single room or so. I thought that there were oil burning
heaters, but the ones I find online are generally large "permanent"
heaters. Wood pellet burning stoves seem to need proper installation
and a hearth. Are there any types of heating that are worth looking
at? I would prefer something small and relatively cheap-ish, which
can be plonked down in a carpeted room as a heater.

You are asking a lot. About the only thing I can think of, and would
not want to use myself. would be a kerosene heater. They tend to smell,
have been known to have CO problems and have been responsible for too many
fires to make me happy.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...m.0& MID=9876

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

m Ransley July 27th 06 01:08 PM

Non-mains heating

Get a porta-nuke heater

[email protected] July 27th 06 01:34 PM

Non-mains heating

Thanks for the replies. After reading what you say and the links, I
don't think a portable combustion heater would be a good idea.

I note that one website discussing Kerosene heater safety says the
following

"Newer models are manufactured with numerous safety features, but
operator errors such as using gasoline instead of kerosene, failure to
provide adequate ventilation, fuel spills, etc. have resulted in
numerous home fires."

Using gasoline instead of kerosene? Would this sort of thing qualify
for the Darwin award?

[email protected] July 27th 06 02:15 PM

Non-mains heating

you might be better with a single super insulated room with say 2 feet
of insulation perhaps foam to minimizes losses.

still you need water sewer lines and prevent them from freezing and
enough ventilation so you can live.

sadly theres no free lunch and wood pellets can be expensive...

Toller July 27th 06 02:38 PM

Non-mains heating

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the replies. After reading what you say and the links, I
don't think a portable combustion heater would be a good idea.

You don't want electric, you don't want gas, you don't want a portable
combustion heater...
Try using people, as in "the matrix".

Using gasoline instead of kerosene? Would this sort of thing qualify
for the Darwin award?

I had a flooded basement during a power outage. Every 2 hours, 24/7, for a
week I had to put gasoline in a pump, and every 6 hours kerosene in a
heater. I am a bit surprised I didn't get them mixed up.

[email protected] July 27th 06 03:11 PM

Non-mains heating

wrote:

you might be better with a single super insulated room with say 2 feet
of insulation perhaps foam to minimizes losses.

"Mains" sounds UKsian. If an 8' cube has 2' of Styrofoam insulation with
a thermal conductance of 6x8'x8'/(24xR5) = 3.2 Btu/h-F, a 300 Btu/h person
could warm it 300/3.2 = 94 F. Then again, I bought a $10 pair of British
Army surplus Arctic pants with 1" of padding.

A writer might enjoy a trash can with a tilting lid that would ignite balls
of paper tossed into the lid, maybe something with a propane torch and
a small chimney to the outdoors.

Nick

JimL July 27th 06 03:54 PM

Non-mains heating

On 27 Jul 2006 05:34:38 -0700, "
wrote:

Thanks for the replies. After reading what you say and the links, I
don't think a portable combustion heater would be a good idea.

I note that one website discussing Kerosene heater safety says the
following

"Newer models are manufactured with numerous safety features, but
operator errors such as using gasoline instead of kerosene, failure to
provide adequate ventilation, fuel spills, etc. have resulted in
numerous home fires."

Using gasoline instead of kerosene? Would this sort of thing qualify
for the Darwin award?

I used a gasoline heater for years, but it required an exhaust.

Joseph Meehan July 27th 06 04:15 PM

Non-mains heating

wrote:
Thanks for the replies. After reading what you say and the links, I
don't think a portable combustion heater would be a good idea.

I note that one website discussing Kerosene heater safety says the
following

"Newer models are manufactured with numerous safety features, but
operator errors such as using gasoline instead of kerosene, failure to
provide adequate ventilation, fuel spills, etc. have resulted in
numerous home fires."

Using gasoline instead of kerosene? Would this sort of thing qualify
for the Darwin award?

Yea, but I have seen it done a few times around here. It is a sad thing
to have happen.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Stormin Mormon July 28th 06 03:02 PM

Non-mains heating (color coded, no less!)

Kero containers are yellow, gasoline containers are red.

Blue for diesel.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Stormin Mormon July 28th 06 03:02 PM

Non-mains heating

I can't remember where I heard this, but Coleman type stoves emit a
LOT of carbon monoxide. Also charcoal pumps out monoxide.

Would not be safe to use indoors.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hi,
Real small? Camping stove. Coleman type.