DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hayard Inground Pool Pump Runs but No Pressure (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/170272-hayard-inground-pool-pump-runs-but-no-pressure.html)

MonkeyMan July 25th 06 12:54 AM

Hayard Inground Pool Pump Runs but No Pressure

Today I came home from work and noticed that it looked like the pump
was not on. Which is odd because its on a timer. I went out to the
filter and the pump is certainly on and running but it is not
circulating any water and there is no pressure reading on the filter.
Could the Impeller be bad or maybe a broken shaft? Has this happened to
anyone out there? Can I disassemble and replace parts or do I have to
get a whole new pump?

Bob July 25th 06 03:46 AM

Hayard Inground Pool Pump Runs but No Pressure

"MonkeyMan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Today I came home from work and noticed that it looked like the pump
was not on. Which is odd because its on a timer. I went out to the
filter and the pump is certainly on and running but it is not
circulating any water and there is no pressure reading on the filter.
Could the Impeller be bad or maybe a broken shaft? Has this happened to
anyone out there? Can I disassemble and replace parts or do I have to
get a whole new pump?

You can probably find a manual on the Hayward site.

Bob

[email protected] July 25th 06 03:54 AM

Hayard Inground Pool Pump Runs but No Pressure

Bob wrote:
"MonkeyMan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Today I came home from work and noticed that it looked like the pump
was not on. Which is odd because its on a timer. I went out to the
filter and the pump is certainly on and running but it is not
circulating any water and there is no pressure reading on the filter.
Could the Impeller be bad or maybe a broken shaft? Has this happened to
anyone out there? Can I disassemble and replace parts or do I have to
get a whole new pump?

You can probably find a manual on the Hayward site.

Bob

Is it possible it's air locked? I've had that happen on my spa. I
guess it's possible the impeller could be broken and the shaft just
spinning, but that doesn't seem likely. In any case, these pumps
generally have seals and impellers that can be replaced.

Pop July 25th 06 04:18 PM

Hayard Inground Pool Pump Runs but No Pressure

In oups.com,
MonkeyMan typed:
Today I came home from work and noticed that it looked like the
pump
was not on. Which is odd because its on a timer. I went out
to the
filter and the pump is certainly on and running but it is not
circulating any water and there is no pressure reading on the
filter.
Could the Impeller be bad or maybe a broken shaft? Has this
happened
to anyone out there? Can I disassemble and replace parts or do
have to get a whole new pump?

From the sound of your question, you need to get a pool man to
check it out. It may or may not have been ruined. Most likely
you developed an air leak and air in the pump stopped it from
pumping, but if it ran long enough it may have damaged things
inside.

Have you tried filling the basket with water and restarting it?

Pop

MCL July 25th 06 07:44 PM

Hayard Inground Pool Pump Runs but No Pressure

I've had it happen, what everyone has referred to as air locked. The only
remedy was to unplug pump, set to backwash, let the water start to flow on
gravity alone. Start pump, allow to run on backwash, then reset it to
filter. No matter what I tried I could never get it to restart pumping
without this ritual. Hope this helps.
Mike

Pop July 26th 06 04:50 PM

Hayard Inground Pool Pump Runs but No Pressure

In ps.com,
typed:
Thanks for all the info folks. I had the pool guy come out
this
morning. Turns out the impeller is broken. The bad news is
that the
pump is attached to the housing with four bolts and one of
those bolts
just spins. Meaning that the threaded insert in the housing is
junk.
The pool is 20-yrs old and I don't know how old this pump is so
I am
getting a new pump & housing assembly and keeping everything
else as
spare parts.
Thanks again for your input.

That was the right thing to do IMO, and at 20 years it's probably
the second or third pump if all went normally so it's likely time
for another motor at least if you're north, for sure if you're
south. BTW, it's HayWard, not Hayard. One thing though:

The bolts that fasten the pump to the impeller part (motor) are
not threaded in Haywards: They are, in my experience, bolts with
a nut on the other side. So I wonder if you misunderstood
something, or ... .

Pop`