DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Minimum distance off floor for thru-wall AC (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/169948-minimum-distance-off-floor-thru-wall-ac.html)

Trent-Lion July 21st 06 06:04 PM

Minimum distance off floor for thru-wall AC

What is the minimum distance off the floor (and off the ground) that a
through-the-wall air conditioner can be installed? This 8,000 btu a/c
is going under a window, and I have only about two feet of wall space
between the floor and the bottom of the window. Is this enough?
Thanks.
T-L

Edwin Pawlowski July 21st 06 06:10 PM

"Trent-Lion" wrote in message
What is the minimum distance off the floor (and off the ground) that a
through-the-wall air conditioner can be installed? This 8,000 btu a/c
is going under a window, and I have only about two feet of wall space
between the floor and the bottom of the window. Is this enough?
Thanks.
T-L

It can work, but the higher the better. Worst case scenario is a fan on the
floor to give the cold air a boost.

MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC July 21st 06 06:43 PM

Minimum distance off floor for thru-wall AC

If this is a first floor, you also have to think about what's on the
OTHER side of the wall - a sleeve AC mounted near grade my have the
airflow to the condenser coil obstructed by vegetation, or may admit
water if snow drifting against it melts due to warn air infiltrating
out withing the sleeve and then ice dams, forcing melted water to flow
back between the AC and the sleeve and into the the wall cavity or
interior of the structure.

Michael Thomas
Paragon Home Inspection, LCC
Chicago IL
mdtATparagoninspectsDOTcom
847-475-5668

mm July 21st 06 10:56 PM

Minimum distance off floor for thru-wall AC

On 21 Jul 2006 10:43:58 -0700, "MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC"
wrote:

If this is a first floor, you also have to think about what's on the
OTHER side of the wall - a sleeve AC mounted near grade my have the
airflow to the condenser coil obstructed by vegetation, or may admit

Although almost all those non-room ACs, the ones built in to the
heating system, have grass or something growing around them. I just
remember to trim it.

water if snow drifting against it melts due to warn air infiltrating
out withing the sleeve and then ice dams, forcing melted water to flow
back between the AC and the sleeve and into the the wall cavity or
interior of the structure.

That I don't face.