DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Diamond Point Bit Set - worth having? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/169926-diamond-point-bit-set-worth-having.html)

Dan_Musicant July 21st 06 02:39 PM

Diamond Point Bit Set - worth having?

On my occasional stomps into Harbor Freight I've noticed a few different
Diamond Point Bit Sets and bought a set yesterday. I have a cheap dremel
tool (B&D), and figure eventually I'll be glad I got the set. 20 piece,
various tips for $8. Is this really a waste of $, or are these quite
useful? What is your experience? What are they useful for? TIA.

Dan

Richard J Kinch July 21st 06 04:35 PM

Diamond Point Bit Set - worth having?

Dan_Musicant writes:

What are they useful for?

Cutting or sharpening materials too hard for ordinary bits. Vitrified
ceramics, carbide tools, etc.

Dan_Musicant July 21st 06 05:57 PM

Diamond Point Bit Set - worth having?

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:35:08 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

:Dan_Musicant writes:
:
: What are they useful for?
:
:Cutting or sharpening materials too hard for ordinary bits. Vitrified
:ceramics, carbide tools, etc.

OK, so I can maybe use these bits to resharpen my tungsten carbide drill
bits? I don't imagine I could sharpen a TC circle saw blade.

What are vitrified ceramics?

Are there any other uses?

Richard J Kinch July 21st 06 07:13 PM

Dan_Musicant writes:

OK, so I can maybe use these bits to resharpen my tungsten carbide drill
bits? I don't imagine I could sharpen a TC circle saw blade.

Sharpening is not just removing material, but maintaing a critical
geometry. Masonry drill bits are feasible to hand sharpen with diamond
wheels, since they have a very simple cutting point geometry. But twist
drill bits require a lot of skill to hand sharpen. Saw blade teeth require
very accurate angles and consistent spacing to get a decent result; they're
so cheap as to be hardly worth the effort.

Dan_Musicant July 22nd 06 01:11 AM

On 21 Jul 2006 14:45:00 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

:
:Dan_Musicant wrote:
: On my occasional stomps into Harbor Freight I've noticed a few different
: Diamond Point Bit Sets and bought a set yesterday. I have a cheap dremel
: tool (B&D), and figure eventually I'll be glad I got the set. 20 piece,
: various tips for $8. Is this really a waste of $, or are these quite
: useful? What is your experience? What are they useful for? TIA.
:
: Dan
:
:I bought the same set from HF last year and have been well satisfied
:with them. I've used them to drill through bath tile for installing
:safety grab bars, taking out old window putty when reglazing, and
:various hobby craft projects. Well worth the price.
:
:Bob

Thanks. I figure I'll find uses for them now and again. I thought of one
today. I have a mug that was manufactured in a factory. I use it all the
time (coffee), but it has a little ridge on the handle. I tried
smoothing it off with a stone, but it wasn't too successful. the diamond
bits are perfect for that - it's a glass mug.

Dan