DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Electrical code for spas in Phoenix( Gilbert) (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/169760-electrical-code-spas-phoenix-gilbert.html)

GotBonus July 19th 06 08:59 PM

Electrical code for spas in Phoenix( Gilbert)

I recently purchased a new spa from a company called "lifespas" in phoenix.
One of the features of the spa is that it has a GFCI breaker built in to the
electrical control panel.
they TOLD me that this eliminates the need for a GFCI breaker at the sub box
on my patio and that all I need is a 50 amp breaker.
The sub box is about 7 feet from the tub and line of sight.

Now, I have had several electricians say they believe that there still needs
to be a GFCI breaker in the sub box to make this meet code.
Has anyone heard of such a thing?
I know each state/city is different, but is this safe?

I live in Gilbert AZ just East of phoenix, I am assuming I would call the
city of Gilbert inspector to find out more...

[email protected] July 20th 06 01:21 PM

Electrical code for spas in Phoenix( Gilbert)

wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 12:59:20 -0700, "GotBonus"
wrote:

I recently purchased a new spa from a company called "lifespas" in phoenix.
One of the features of the spa is that it has a GFCI breaker built in to the
electrical control panel.
they TOLD me that this eliminates the need for a GFCI breaker at the sub box
on my patio and that all I need is a 50 amp breaker.
The sub box is about 7 feet from the tub and line of sight.

Now, I have had several electricians say they believe that there still needs
to be a GFCI breaker in the sub box to make this meet code.
Has anyone heard of such a thing?
I know each state/city is different, but is this safe?

I live in Gilbert AZ just East of phoenix, I am assuming I would call the
city of Gilbert inspector to find out more...

Your local AHJ will know what he wantys but the NEC says

680.44(A) Listed Units. If so marked, a listed self-contained unit or
listed packaged equipment assembly that includes integral ground-fault
circuit-interrupter protection for all electrical parts within the
unit or assembly (pumps, air blowers, heaters, lights, controls,
sanitizer generators, wiring, and so forth) shall be permitted without
additional GFCI protection.

I think this still leaves some doubt. If the unit went inside, then I
think the above is clear. However, isn't it different if it goes
outside? Code also requires a seperate additional disconnect means
located nearby the spa. Since that switch or fuse box, etc, is located
outside, doesn't that require a GFCI?

GotBonus July 20th 06 11:47 PM

"GotBonus" wrote in message
I recently purchased a new spa from a company called "lifespas" in phoenix.
One of the features of the spa is that it has a GFCI breaker built in to
the electrical control panel.
they TOLD me that this eliminates the need for a GFCI breaker at the sub
box on my patio and that all I need is a 50 amp breaker.
The sub box is about 7 feet from the tub and line of sight.

Now, I have had several electricians say they believe that there still
needs to be a GFCI breaker in the sub box to make this meet code.
Has anyone heard of such a thing?
I know each state/city is different, but is this safe?

I live in Gilbert AZ just East of phoenix, I am assuming I would call the
city of Gilbert inspector to find out more...

Electrian checked....no additional GFCI needed, but a disconnect was( 50 amp
fused).

azmelrn November 8th 06 01:24 AM

[...]

I have an appt to see check out the SPAs at Life Spa in Phoenix on Friday
nov 10th.. can you tell me if you are happy now w/ your Spa, service, and
is your electrical situation all straightned out? would you recommend
them to me?