Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hooking up my Dishwasher ???

We just bought our first house.

My brother (home remodeler) replaced the cupboards and the countertop.
He placed the dishwasher next to a cabinet that sits next to the sink.
So we have a cabinet between the sink and the dishwasher.

I know this is a strange setup.

How would I hook up this dishwasher without going through the cabinet
between the dishwasher and sink?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"heyyou_kim" wrote in message
ups.com...
We just bought our first house.

My brother (home remodeler) replaced the cupboards and the countertop.
He placed the dishwasher next to a cabinet that sits next to the sink.
So we have a cabinet between the sink and the dishwasher.

I know this is a strange setup.

How would I hook up this dishwasher without going through the cabinet
between the dishwasher and sink?

Behind it the cabinet isn't too deep or underneath if you have room and
access. Failing those, you'll have to go through-- unless the missus doesn't
mind the wires and pipes going across the top...I guess you could build
cover for it...

Posted to alt.home.repair

How would I hook up this dishwasher without going through the cabinet
between the dishwasher and sink?

First, consider these (anything else is likely going to be harder):

Option 1: The "floor" of the cabinet interior is elevated above the
floor of the room to the height of the toe-kick (the recess at the
lower front of the cabinet). Use a hole saw to cut a hole at the rear
of the cabinet below the cabinet floor and above the floor surface of
the room. (if you can only come at the dishwasher of the cabinet you
will need a drill extention and perhaps a right angle drill.

Option 2: If the cabinet has a drawer at the bottom, there *may* be
enough room to run the supply, drain and power behind the drawer if
it's secured to the bottom and rear of the cabinet.

Likely, you are required to pull a permit for the the plumbing, the
electrical, or both - the inspector(s) will probably like option 1
better than option 2.

Michael Thomas
Paragon Home Inspection. LLC
Chicago IL
mdtATparagoninspectsDOTcom
847-475-5668

Posted to alt.home.repair

"heyyou_kim" wrote in message
ups.com...
We just bought our first house.

My brother (home remodeler) replaced the cupboards and the countertop.
He placed the dishwasher next to a cabinet that sits next to the sink.
So we have a cabinet between the sink and the dishwasher.

I know this is a strange setup.

How would I hook up this dishwasher without going through the cabinet
between the dishwasher and sink?

I would move the cabinet and the dishwasher. Swap places.

It has removed 536 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"heyyou_kim" wrote in message
ups.com...
We just bought our first house.

My brother (home remodeler) replaced the cupboards and the countertop.
He placed the dishwasher next to a cabinet that sits next to the sink.
So we have a cabinet between the sink and the dishwasher.

I know this is a strange setup.

How would I hook up this dishwasher without going through the cabinet
between the dishwasher and sink?

Before you start, read the DW specs to be sure you can run the drain line
that far. You don't say how wide the cabinet between is, but there may be
a limit on how long the drain line can be extended. Probably OK with a 24"
wide cabinet, but might be pushing it with a 30" or 36" inch cabinet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can go down (into a basement?) then back up to the drain fitting under
the sink. Set an outlet in the basement to plug it in to.

--
Steve Barker

"heyyou_kim" wrote in message
ups.com...
We just bought our first house.

My brother (home remodeler) replaced the cupboards and the countertop.
He placed the dishwasher next to a cabinet that sits next to the sink.
So we have a cabinet between the sink and the dishwasher.

I know this is a strange setup.

How would I hook up this dishwasher without going through the cabinet
between the dishwasher and sink?

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"heyyou_kim" wrote in message
ups.com...
We just bought our first house.

My brother (home remodeler) replaced the cupboards and the countertop.
He placed the dishwasher next to a cabinet that sits next to the sink.
So we have a cabinet between the sink and the dishwasher.

I know this is a strange setup.

How would I hook up this dishwasher without going through the cabinet
between the dishwasher and sink?

I drilled a hole in the floor and ran PVC to a basement laundry tub for the
drain and tapped a hot pipe in the basement and ran copper tubing back up
through the same hole for a hot water source. Has worked flawlessly for the
last 7 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"heyyou_kim" wrote in message
ups.com...
We just bought our first house.

My brother (home remodeler) replaced the cupboards and the countertop.
He placed the dishwasher next to a cabinet that sits next to the sink.
So we have a cabinet between the sink and the dishwasher.

I know this is a strange setup.

How would I hook up this dishwasher without going through the cabinet
between the dishwasher and sink?

I'd really consider moving the cabinet. Unless you have a very good reason
not to, you will be living with a very inconvenient setup and HATE it for
years to come.

I don't want your brother to work on my house. He has terrible design
ideas.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 19 Jul 2006 12:32:58 -0700, "MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC"
wrote:

Option 1: The "floor" of the cabinet interior is elevated above the
floor of the room

Why do they do this? If I didn't keep all my money there, the space
would go to waste.

to the height of the toe-kick (the recess at the
lower front of the cabinet). Use a hole saw to cut a hole at the rear
of the cabinet below the cabinet floor and above the floor surface of
the room. (if you can only come at the dishwasher of the cabinet you
will need a drill extention and perhaps a right angle drill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Option 1: The "floor" of the cabinet interior is elevated above the
floor of the room

Why do they do this? If I didn't keep all my money there, the space
would go to waste.

Because most people would not want to bend all the way to floor level
to pick up something in the cabinets.