DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Plumbing, Main drain in floor of basement (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/169621-plumbing-main-drain-floor-basement.html)

[email protected] July 18th 06 05:41 PM

Plumbing, Main drain in floor of basement

Can I plug up the main drain? There is an odor coming from it and I
think the pipe is either cracked or eroded. I fill it with water every
3 days and it still produces a smell after 2 days. If possible could I
just plug it?

Tom The Great July 18th 06 09:49 PM

On 18 Jul 2006 09:41:23 -0700, wrote:

Can I plug up the main drain? There is an odor coming from it and I
think the pipe is either cracked or eroded. I fill it with water every
3 days and it still produces a smell after 2 days. If possible could I
just plug it?

I had the same problem, except it tooks a week. If you have AC you
might be drying the house out enough to cause the water to evaporate.
I was told that if you fill with water, the trap/drain/ and poor down
several ounces of mineral oil, it cover the water. Since the mineral
oil won't evaporate, and seals the water, you can reduce your refill
times during the dry season.

I don't know your drain, so I can only say it worked for me.

imho,

tom @
www.Consolidated-Loans.info

[email protected] July 19th 06 03:14 PM

Plumbing, Main drain in floor of basement

I had the same problem, except it tooks a week. If you have AC you
might be drying the house out enough to cause the water to evaporate.
I was told that if you fill with water, the trap/drain/ and poor down
several ounces of mineral oil, it cover the water. Since the mineral
oil won't evaporate, and seals the water, you can reduce your refill
times during the dry season.

I don't know your drain, so I can only say it worked for me.

imho,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

We have a septic system and drain feild. I don't think I should pour
mineral oil in it but I may be wrong.

We have electric baseboard heat, so there is no duct work and that
means no AC. We don't have AC at all in the house.