Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Putting electrical outlets in brick?

I am installing an outlet on a porch of a brick house. Do you just knock out
a space for the box and wedge it in or is there some special way in brick? I
presume that you should put a special cover on the outlet to protect from
the weather.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pics?

Most likely you would want to surface mount it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Been there done this

Trust me long term your way better off with a outdoor sealed box just
mounted to the brick!

More secure way less work and no moisture issues causing box rusting
over the years.

I put one in the bricks, admittely over 20 years ago and have redone it
for a variety of reasons over the years. Mostly moisture leaking
inside. I finally left a opening at the bottom so any water that gets
in has a easy way out.

The surface monunted boxes have NEVER had a problem, and some are in
nearly as long.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the advise. I doubt if I would get water drainage except from
washing off the porch with a hose, and I'm sure the inset would look better,
but the sealed box sounds more practical. ( If my wife will go along )
wrote in message
oups.com...
Been there done this

Trust me long term your way better off with a outdoor sealed box just
mounted to the brick!

More secure way less work and no moisture issues causing box rusting
over the years.

I put one in the bricks, admittely over 20 years ago and have redone it
for a variety of reasons over the years. Mostly moisture leaking
inside. I finally left a opening at the bottom so any water that gets
in has a easy way out.

The surface monunted boxes have NEVER had a problem, and some are in
nearly as long.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"W. Wells" wrote in message
. ..
I am installing an outlet on a porch of a brick house. Do you just knock

out
a space for the box and wedge it in or is there some special way in brick?

presume that you should put a special cover on the outlet to protect from
the weather.

If this is for occasional use, and you are tall enough to reach it, look at
putting it in the soffit. Great for Xmas lights, etc. Also usually easier to
get a wire to it. Yes, you need a weather-proof cover. If you do put it in
the brick, you want a weather-proof box as well, since the back of the brick
isn;t always dry. Remember to put a GFCI upstream.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

W. Wells wrote:
I am installing an outlet on a porch of a brick house. Do you just knock out
a space for the box and wedge it in or is there some special way in brick? I
presume that you should put a special cover on the outlet to protect from
the weather.

Is this to be installed in an existing brick wall or in a new one? In
either case you install a masonry box with an in use cover and caulk the
hell out of it. There are in use covers that are built into a box so
the cover will not protrude from the wall.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison