DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gunk on pool chlorinator (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/169364-gunk-pool-chlorinator.html)

Kurt Ullman July 16th 06 02:48 PM

Gunk on pool chlorinator

I am getting some tannish, sticky gunk inside the chlorinator of
my pool that gets onto the threads of the top of the chlorinator and
hardens which makes getting the chlorinator open harder and harder. Any
ideas as to what it is, how to stop it and how to get it off the
threads?

giroup01 July 17th 06 01:46 AM

Gunk on pool chlorinator

I am getting some tannish, sticky gunk inside the chlorinator of
my pool that gets onto the threads of the top of the chlorinator and
hardens which makes getting the chlorinator open harder and harder. Any
ideas as to what it is, how to stop it and how to get it off the
threads?

Trichlor tablets are fabricated by filling a mold with trichlor
granules and compressing them. The process creates heat and makes the
tablet want to adhere to the mold. This heat and sticking slows down
the manufacturing.

What you're seeing is probably stearates or some other binder or
lubricant, added to the mix to minimize adherence and allowing the
manufacturing equipment to run faster.

Try switching brands.

Kurt Ullman July 17th 06 01:27 PM

Gunk on pool chlorinator

In article .com,
"giroup01" wrote:

I am getting some tannish, sticky gunk inside the chlorinator of
my pool that gets onto the threads of the top of the chlorinator and
hardens which makes getting the chlorinator open harder and harder. Any
ideas as to what it is, how to stop it and how to get it off the
threads?

Trichlor tablets are fabricated by filling a mold with trichlor
granules and compressing them. The process creates heat and makes the
tablet want to adhere to the mold. This heat and sticking slows down
the manufacturing.

What you're seeing is probably stearates or some other binder or
lubricant, added to the mix to minimize adherence and allowing the
manufacturing equipment to run faster.

Try switching brands.

Thanks. Any suggestions on how to get the stuff that is already there
and set-up lilke stone off?

giroup01 July 18th 06 01:03 PM

Gunk on pool chlorinator

Thanks. Any suggestions on how to get the stuff that is already there
and set-up lilke stone off?

I wouldn't know, sorry, I don't use trichlor. I don't even want to
suggest anything as I'd hate to give bad/wrong suggestions and have the
chlorinator blow up. Perhaps you could ask Richard Kinch, a frequent
contributor here and an authority on pool chemistry and chemicals.
He's at www.truetex.com.

Best regards,

Keith Williams July 18th 06 02:44 PM

Gunk on pool chlorinator

In article kurtullman-E38D35.08273217072006@customer-201-125-217-
207.uninet.net.mx, says...
In article .com,
"giroup01" wrote:

I am getting some tannish, sticky gunk inside the chlorinator of
my pool that gets onto the threads of the top of the chlorinator and
hardens which makes getting the chlorinator open harder and harder. Any
ideas as to what it is, how to stop it and how to get it off the
threads?

Trichlor tablets are fabricated by filling a mold with trichlor
granules and compressing them. The process creates heat and makes the
tablet want to adhere to the mold. This heat and sticking slows down
the manufacturing.

What you're seeing is probably stearates or some other binder or
lubricant, added to the mix to minimize adherence and allowing the
manufacturing equipment to run faster.

Try switching brands.

Thanks. Any suggestions on how to get the stuff that is already there
and set-up lilke stone off?

Same thing happened to mine. I just threw the chlorinator away and
used a floating chlorinator. The floater worked better anyway. I
just replaced the floater every couple of years.

--
Keith