DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rock crushing (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/169272-rock-crushing.html)

[email protected] July 15th 06 06:28 PM

Rock crushing

Other than the obvious way of me having to beat on large rocks with a
big hammer, are there companies that will crush 1,000 pounds
(approximately) of rock to 'custom' sizes?

Would this be a 'reasonable' thing to do, or are most types of popular
rock generally available as 'crushed'?

Thanks.

Lewis.

******

dpb July 15th 06 06:32 PM

Rock crushing

wrote:
Other than the obvious way of me having to beat on large rocks with a
big hammer, are there companies that will crush 1,000 pounds
(approximately) of rock to 'custom' sizes?

Would this be a 'reasonable' thing to do, or are most types of popular
rock generally available as 'crushed'?

No, and yes... :)

For a batch so small it would undoubtedly be very difficult to convince
a crusher to deal with a "one-off" like that at all, and if they did
I'm sure they would be quite pricey.

What do you have and want? You should have no trouble finding most
anything that is used at all commonly...

Don Phillipson July 15th 06 08:13 PM

Rock crushing

wrote in message
ups.com...

Other than the obvious way of me having to beat on large rocks with a
big hammer, are there companies that will crush 1,000 pounds
(approximately) of rock to 'custom' sizes?

Would this be a 'reasonable' thing to do, or are most types of popular
rock generally available as 'crushed'?

Crushed rock is usually sold by the truckload, i.e. in
minimum lots of 5 or 6 tons. Carriage costs more than the material.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Pete C. July 15th 06 08:17 PM

Rock crushing

wrote:

Other than the obvious way of me having to beat on large rocks with a
big hammer, are there companies that will crush 1,000 pounds
(approximately) of rock to 'custom' sizes?

Would this be a 'reasonable' thing to do, or are most types of popular
rock generally available as 'crushed'?

Thanks.

Lewis.

******

The cost of trucking such a small amount to a crusher and then back
would exceed the cost of just delivering appropriate crushed material
(anything you could possibly want is readily available), the raw
material is not worth much in small quantity. Companies do on site
crushing for really big construction jobs, but really big is hundreds of
tons of material.

Pete C.