Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sluggish garage-door opener

I have a Sears chain-driven garage-door opener that's about ten years old.
It's in excellent mechanical condition but lately it's very slow to begin
the opening
or closing cycle. I find myself having to push the remote button for 8-10
seconds at times
before anything happens.

The batteries are newly replaced, I've tried repositioning the pickup
antenna, but
so far nothing seems to help.

What am I missing here???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 20:54:57 -0700, "Norm Dion"
wrote:

I have a Sears chain-driven garage-door opener that's about ten years old.
It's in excellent mechanical condition but lately it's very slow to begin
the opening
or closing cycle. I find myself having to push the remote button for 8-10
seconds at times
before anything happens.

The batteries are newly replaced, I've tried repositioning the pickup
antenna, but
so far nothing seems to help.

What am I missing here???

IMHO,

I would do what you are doing, rule out reception. I would try and
stand inside the garage and test the remote. Ifa difference is
noticed, then it might be reception. Also, I would take a look at
everything, rollers, chain, supports. Ask myself, "does anything
look wrong?"

Post a followup.

later,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a Sears chain-driven garage-door opener that's about ten years old.
It's in excellent mechanical condition but lately it's very slow to begin
the opening
or closing cycle. I find myself having to push the remote button for 8-10
seconds at times
before anything happens.

The batteries are newly replaced, I've tried repositioning the pickup
antenna, but
so far nothing seems to help.

If you push the hard-wired button on the wall, does it open immediately?

If so, then the problem is related to the receiver/transmitter. Perhaps your
transmitter button is worn out. Try cleaning the switch or use a spare
transmitter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

peter wrote:

I have a Sears chain-driven garage-door opener that's about ten years old.
It's in excellent mechanical condition but lately it's very slow to begin
the opening
or closing cycle. I find myself having to push the remote button for 8-10
seconds at times
before anything happens.

The batteries are newly replaced, I've tried repositioning the pickup
antenna, but
so far nothing seems to help.

If you push the hard-wired button on the wall, does it open immediately?

If so, then the problem is related to the receiver/transmitter. Perhaps your
transmitter button is worn out. Try cleaning the switch or use a spare
transmitter.

I'll second that approach. We have Craftsman units which are about 20
years old now and still going strong, and the transmitters (and the
receiver too I suppose) use slug tuned coils which set the RF operating
frequency.

I recall having to tweak the slug in one of the transmitters to get it
to operate as far from the garage as our other units.

I drilled a 1/8" hole in the case so I could reach the slug with a
tuning tool left over from the old vacuum toob TV set days and adjusted
the slug by trial and error tweaking as I moved away from the garage.

Worked for me...

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia