Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buy or rent a pressure washer?

The daily rental for a 3000 psi pressure washer is $ 65. It has a gasoline
engine.

A new pressure washer from Harbor Freight costs $ 89. It is a 2 hp electric
unit and puts out 1,300 psi at 1.7 GPM.

I need a PW for cleaning stucco paint, removing spalling paint from my
concrete foundations and for cleaning up some lightly peeling paint from my
concrete patio, prior to painting.

If I owned a PW I would also use it for general cleanup around the house. I
could probably find lots of things to wash around the house, including the
dog.

Never used a PW before. I would appreciate any advice/opinions regarding
buying or renting.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
The daily rental for a 3000 psi pressure washer is $ 65. It has a gasoline
engine.

A new pressure washer from Harbor Freight costs $ 89. It is a 2 hp
electric unit and puts out 1,300 psi at 1.7 GPM.

I need a PW for cleaning stucco paint, removing spalling paint from my
concrete foundations and for cleaning up some lightly peeling paint from
my concrete patio, prior to painting.

If I owned a PW I would also use it for general cleanup around the house.
I could probably find lots of things to wash around the house, including
the dog.

Never used a PW before. I would appreciate any advice/opinions regarding
buying or renting.

Rental is too high given the price to buy. The rental may be larger but .
.. . . . You can buy a gas one for $250 to $300. Most gas are better than
the smaller electrics, but there may be exceptions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:

If I owned a PW I would also use it for general cleanup around the house. I
could probably find lots of things to wash around the house, including the
dog.

Bought a low-end model at the BORG a couple of years ago,
first use was to prep the exterior of our cabin for staining and
painting. Little bit of a pain to use, might have gone easier
with a more powerful unit.

Current usage (in no particular order):
- Blasting pigeon poop off the roof
- Cleaning the barbecue grill
- Cleaning the kool deck

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now that I have one I don't know how I got by with out one. I found
mine at Home Depot as a scratch and dent, paid ~$300 for a 6.5 hp 3500
psi unit. I use it at least once a month, often once a week or more.
BTW, way too powerful for the dog washing unless it is a pain in the
rear that you want rid of. I was cleaning the cow water tank in sandals
and went across my toes & immediately blackened 2 toe nails, careful
now, you hear? Great for pre painting prep, doesn't replace scraping,
but it sure cuts the job down to size. Gunky lawn mower, no problem,
ready to sharpen and clean up the deck on a riding mower, about 15
minutes. One thing I would advise is a better wand, most of the
included ones suck (I think that's the technical term). Northern Tool
has some nice ones. I got a turret tip that lets you plug different
angled tips in, that is a nice toy, I use the 25 degree one to death,
the others occasionally.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i think if your doing the work listed at least get a 2500 psi
washer..the more the better for that kind of work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wonder if 1300 psi will remove the mildew from my pool deck?? Anyone know?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
wrote in message
i think if your doing the work listed at least get a 2500 psi
washer..the more the better for that kind of work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." writes:

The daily rental for a 3000 psi pressure washer is $ 65. It has a gasoline
engine.

A new pressure washer from Harbor Freight costs $ 89. It is a 2 hp electric
unit and puts out 1,300 psi at 1.7 GPM.

I need a PW for cleaning stucco paint, removing spalling paint from my
concrete foundations and for cleaning up some lightly peeling paint from my
concrete patio, prior to painting.

If I owned a PW I would also use it for general cleanup around the house. I
could probably find lots of things to wash around the house, including the
dog.

Never used a PW before. I would appreciate any advice/opinions regarding
buying or renting.

1300 PSI sounds a little light.
I have a 1750 Husky from HD that has been perfect for everything
I've used it for.

I'd recommend spending a bit more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
Wonder if 1300 psi will remove the mildew from my pool deck?? Anyone
know?
i think if your doing the work listed at least get a 2500 psi
washer..the more the better for that kind of work.

It might with the right nozzle, but it will only do it slowly.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
The daily rental for a 3000 psi pressure washer is $ 65. It has a
gasoline engine.

A new pressure washer from Harbor Freight costs $ 89. It is a 2 hp
electric unit and puts out 1,300 psi at 1.7 GPM.

I need a PW for cleaning stucco paint, removing spalling paint from
my concrete foundations and for cleaning up some lightly peeling
paint from my concrete patio, prior to painting.

If I owned a PW I would also use it for general cleanup around the
house. I could probably find lots of things to wash around the house,
including the dog.

Never used a PW before. I would appreciate any advice/opinions
regarding buying or renting.

I would be real careful about that stucco. More than one person has
damaged that stuff with a pressure washer. Remember that there are a number
of different kinds of stucco and some will not hold up to that kind of
cleaning.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would buy, not rent.

Having said that, I borrowed one instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
The daily rental for a 3000 psi pressure washer is $ 65. It has a gasoline
engine.

A new pressure washer from Harbor Freight costs $ 89. It is a 2 hp
electric unit and puts out 1,300 psi at 1.7 GPM.

I need a PW for cleaning stucco paint, removing spalling paint from my
concrete foundations and for cleaning up some lightly peeling paint from
my concrete patio, prior to painting.

If I owned a PW I would also use it for general cleanup around the house.
I could probably find lots of things to wash around the house, including
the dog.

Never used a PW before. I would appreciate any advice/opinions regarding
buying or renting.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Don't know about Harbor Freight but my electric Karcher with the plastic
compressor lasted only about 5 hours. Funny I had my Karcher in the trash
can at the same time my neighbor had his electric Karcher in the trash. Same
problem, his plastic compressor broke too and he seldom use it either. Spend
a little more money and get the gas model with a Honda engine good a
compressor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a Karcher electric - 1300 PSI, I think. It pulled the mold off
my treated timber deck without any trouble. Just took a while, but
works nice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
Wonder if 1300 psi will remove the mildew from my pool deck?? Anyone know?

--

Sure, but it will take longer than a bigger one. The high pressure ratings
are a bit optimistic, but a higher rated one does have more power than the

That 1300 or 3500 psi is over a very small area; think of it as a way to
compare though. As soon as you use the spray nozzle and put some distance
between the outlet and the piece to be sprayed, the pressure is actually
much less.

Is your pool deck wood? Use care so as not to make gouges in it. Get that
pinpoint spray up close and you can do a lot of damage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are there any higher powered electric models that are recommended?

For the few times I would use a gasoline model (and I know they are
better), it just seems an electric would be easier to live with?

Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

# Fred # wrote:

"Walter R." wrote in message
[...]

Um, it's a pump, not a compressor. Water is (essentially) non
compressible.

I've not looked closely at the Karcher units, but I tend to doubt the
pump is actually plastic as plastic is rarely used at high pressures and
indeed the plastics that could handle those pressures are likely more
expensive than case metal. Might be cast aluminum pump housing with
paint that could look like plastic at a quick glance.

Don't spend the extra $ on the Honda engine unless you really need the
quieter engine. Other name brand engines will run just as well if a bit
louder and save a fair amount of money.

Another recommendation is to wear safety glasses when pressure washing.
While you're not likely to point the nozzle at your eye, it's quite easy
to get a spray back that contains debris which would not be fun to get
in your eye.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
Never used a PW before. I would appreciate any advice/opinions regarding
buying or renting.

I've got a 2300psi Generac model powered by a Briggs and Stratton engine that
works great. Personally, I'd never rent one. Once you've got one, you will
come up with plenty of uses for it, plus it will always be there for you when
you need it, assuming you don't buy one of those little electric POS units
instead.

I speak from experience. My first one was electric and didn't last a whole
season.

It seems like I paid about $350 or so for mine from Lowes or HD... can't
remember now. I've had it for about 4 years.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:
Are there any higher powered electric models that are recommended?

For the few times I would use a gasoline model (and I know they are
better), it just seems an electric would be easier to live with?

Steve

It might be easier to live with, but it is twice the pain to use.
Besides dragging a hose along, you have to drag an electric cord with
you. Make sure you have a long extension cord if you plan to do any
cleaning far from the house electric outlets, and you'll spend a lot of
time untangling the hose and cord when moving the washer around.
Most home owner Electrics top out at less than 2000 psi. My $180 120v
Husky electric is rated at 1650 psi. It'll do most of the jobs of a gas
washer, but takes longer, since the head has to be closer to the work,
thereby reducing the spray area.
If you want to spend more money for an electric washer, you can get
professional electrics up to 3500 psi for $2,000 - $3,000+, but then,
the gas powered units at a few hundred dollars look a lot better.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for th e product report. Mine was from Home Depot, with a
diecast metal pump housing. I thought those plastic housing didn't
look good.

I had a Campbell Hausfield with a plastic pump housing. The high
pressure outlet cracked, and left the machine useless. Wonder if I
threw it out the same day you two fellows pitched your machines?

Mine cost about $100, and worth it. Made my money back by now.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"# Fred #" wrote in message
. ..

Don't know about Harbor Freight but my electric Karcher with the
plastic
compressor lasted only about 5 hours. Funny I had my Karcher in the
trash
can at the same time my neighbor had his electric Karcher in the
trash. Same
problem, his plastic compressor broke too and he seldom use it either.
Spend
a little more money and get the gas model with a Honda engine good a
compressor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, it's plastic. Having looked at several at the stores.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Pete C." wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

As to buying or renting, I look at how many times I will use it per year vs
the cost of rental and the cost of purchase. Also factor in maintenance
costs.

I was building a fence and needed an air compressor and nail gun. But I took
a couple of months to build the fence. In this case, it made more sense for
me to purchase the nail gun and air compressor. Then I could take my time
building the fence. Also I use these for other projects.

In the case of splitting firewood and getting a log splitter, it costs $60 a
day for rental and around $1400 to buy a splitter. I only need it two days a
year and it could easily cost $25 or $50 just to fix it when needed. So
makes a whole lot of sense to rent instead of buy in this case. Also stick
$1400 in the bank at 5% interest and you would get around $70 a year.

Then think storage. Might not want to buy equipment you seldom use if you
don't have much storage space for the equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
i think if your doing the work listed at least get a 2500 psi
washer..the more the better for that kind of work.

Hey ds549...
Thanks for that wonderful song... did you write it?

Rob Mickatavage
Port Chester, NY