DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Home electrical how to's book (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/169120-home-electrical-how-tos-book.html)

A. Pismo Clam July 14th 06 02:36 AM

Home electrical how to's book

Hello All,

I am planning to install several 4' fluorescent light in our 34' X 24'
garage. There is existing wire in the rafters which lights two fixtures,
with plugs on the ends. I don't like the look of extension cords in the
rafters and want to, at the very least, install J-boxes for all the
fixtures with plugs on the ends.

I've never done electrical before and I was hoping that you could
recommend a book for the person who has never done anything more than
repair an light cord or change a bulb.

I also have a 4 bulb, 2' X 2' fluorescent fixture that I would like to
install.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alan

Eric in North TX July 14th 06 03:04 AM

Home electrical how to's book

I just completed that job in my shop. I went the individual wire in 3/4
conduit route, but I had a pile of conduit and a conduit bender & only
had the boxes, wire and couplers to buy. Very clean overall. I also
inherited a cobweb of bad wiring & was delighted to haul it off to the
metal recycle. No real advice, and I'm probably at the advanced amateur
stage, self taught and following my dad around when I was a kid.

[email protected] July 14th 06 04:02 AM

Home electrical how to's book

Welcome to the club ! Just hit the library and find the book that
seems to explain things best. You'll want to look things over,
disconnect the power, put in the boxes etc necessary. The thing about
electrical is once you know how to do it it's so easy as to be trivial,
but until that point there's the thrill of killing yourself or burning
the house down.

Follow the book, ask your neighbors who may have done some of this, and
proceed.

Note that in your area, whereever that may be, you may not be able to
do your own work. CA ?

J.A. Michel July 14th 06 06:19 AM

Home electrical how to's book

Get the book Wiring Simplified - based on 2005 NEC.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097...lance&n=283155

A very good book

Good Luck,
Joe Michel