DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   747 Lawnmower ?..............Yes, this is real, a flying Lawnmower (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/169032-747-lawnmower-yes-real-flying-lawnmower.html)

[email protected] July 13th 06 12:01 AM

747 Lawnmower ?..............Yes, this is real, a flying Lawnmower

Believe it or not. Now they have flying Lawnmowers. See one fly he
http://www.jumpingpixels.com/747lawn.html

Harry K July 13th 06 04:11 AM

wrote:
Believe it or not. Now they have flying Lawnmowers. See one fly he
http://www.jumpingpixels.com/747lawn.html

The "Flymo" has been around since the early 80s at least.

Harry K

Bob July 13th 06 02:47 PM

wrote:
Believe it or not. Now they have flying Lawnmowers. See one fly he
http://www.jumpingpixels.com/747lawn.html

Believe it or not? I don't. Anyone who knows anything about
aeronautics knows that you have to have a lifting surface (wing-like
shape) to get things to fly. I did not see any such surface in the
video. And although the handle could be used as a horizontal/verticle
stabilizer, the surface area is not large enough to be as maneuverable
as the video shows.

Bob

Grandpa July 13th 06 03:06 PM

Bob wrote:
wrote:

Believe it or not. Now they have flying Lawnmowers. See one fly he
http://www.jumpingpixels.com/747lawn.html

Believe it or not? I don't. Anyone who knows anything about
aeronautics knows that you have to have a lifting surface (wing-like
shape) to get things to fly. I did not see any such surface in the
video. And although the handle could be used as a horizontal/verticle
stabilizer, the surface area is not large enough to be as maneuverable
as the video shows.

Bob

I think they used to say that given enough power, you could fly a barn door:
http://www.flyingthingz.com/products.html

--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
Why it looks like time.

Keith Williams July 13th 06 03:27 PM

747 Lawnmower ?..............Yes, this is real, a flying Lawnmower

In article crstg.21677$LS6.12151@trnddc03, says...
Bob wrote:
wrote:

Believe it or not. Now they have flying Lawnmowers. See one fly he
http://www.jumpingpixels.com/747lawn.html

Believe it or not? I don't. Anyone who knows anything about
aeronautics knows that you have to have a lifting surface (wing-like
shape) to get things to fly. I did not see any such surface in the
video. And although the handle could be used as a horizontal/verticle
stabilizer, the surface area is not large enough to be as maneuverable
as the video shows.

Bob

I think they used to say that given enough power, you could fly a barn door:
http://www.flyingthingz.com/products.html

[The F4 Phantom II) "America's Proof To The World That With Enough
Power Even A Brick Can Fly".

http://www.craigcentral.com/models/f-4e/default.asp

--
Keith

David Starr July 13th 06 10:51 PM

Bob wrote:
wrote:

Believe it or not. Now they have flying Lawnmowers. See one fly he
http://www.jumpingpixels.com/747lawn.html

Believe it or not? I don't. Anyone who knows anything about
aeronautics knows that you have to have a lifting surface (wing-like
shape) to get things to fly. I did not see any such surface in the
video. And although the handle could be used as a horizontal/verticle
stabilizer, the surface area is not large enough to be as maneuverable
as the video shows.

Bob

I think they used to say that given enough power, you could fly a barn door:
http://www.flyingthingz.com/products.html

[The F4 Phantom II) "America's Proof To The World That With Enough
Power Even A Brick Can Fly".

http://www.craigcentral.com/models/f-4e/default.asp

In the mower's case, the deck of the mower is the wing.
In addition to the F4, add the F-104 and the C-124.

Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography

Web Site: www.destarr.com

Edwin Pawlowski July 14th 06 03:33 AM

Bob wrote:

http://www.jumpingpixels.com/747lawn.html

Believe it or not? I don't. Anyone who knows anything about
aeronautics knows that you have to have a lifting surface (wing-like
shape) to get things to fly. I did not see any such surface in the
video. And although the handle could be used as a horizontal/verticle
stabilizer, the surface area is not large enough to be as maneuverable
as the video shows.

The deck can also be a lifting surface. The "engine" can also be slotted to
act as a multi-wing lifting surface. It has been some years since I flew
RC planes, but I've seen some crazy stuff fly and fly well. Hell, I've seen
some real aircraft that look as though they won't fly but they do. Before
you say "no", go to a model airplane contest and see what can be done.

jtees4 July 14th 06 04:07 PM

On 13 Jul 2006 06:47:32 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

wrote:
Believe it or not. Now they have flying Lawnmowers. See one fly he
http://www.jumpingpixels.com/747lawn.html

Believe it or not? I don't. Anyone who knows anything about
aeronautics knows that you have to have a lifting surface (wing-like
shape) to get things to fly. I did not see any such surface in the
video. And although the handle could be used as a horizontal/verticle
stabilizer, the surface area is not large enough to be as maneuverable
as the video shows.

Bob

My first reaction is NOT to believe it either. But I've been wrong
before. In this day and age it's hard to believe "anything" you see on
the net.

[email protected] July 14th 06 06:22 PM

wrote:
Believe it or not. Now they have flying Lawnmowers. See one fly he
http://www.jumpingpixels.com/747lawn.html

Late '70s.
Sky acres airport, NY, RC fly-in.

Not only did I see the lawnmower fly, snoopy's doghouse got airborn as
well!

Dave