DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   backflow preventer? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/168975-backflow-preventer.html)

peter July 12th 06 04:08 PM

backflow preventer?

Someone mentioned it's a good idea to install a backflow preventer on the
house sewage line.

I searched google for such product and found a few different ones of
different shapes and prices, some are called backwater preventer, some
called flood guard. I still have no idea which is the correct type.

Could someone point me to the correct type to use for a family house? I have
access to the sewage drain pipe (4-inch black plastic pipe) in the
crawlspace and would like to install myself if it's just a matter of cutting
the pipe and inserting the device.

Speedy Jim July 12th 06 04:33 PM

backflow preventer?

peter wrote:
Someone mentioned it's a good idea to install a backflow preventer on the
house sewage line.

I searched google for such product and found a few different ones of
different shapes and prices, some are called backwater preventer, some
called flood guard. I still have no idea which is the correct type.

Could someone point me to the correct type to use for a family house? I have
access to the sewage drain pipe (4-inch black plastic pipe) in the
crawlspace and would like to install myself if it's just a matter of cutting
the pipe and inserting the device.

It can be confusing.
A backflow preventer is used on a potable water service (city supply).

A back WATER valve is the one used on a sewer lateral to prevent
the city sewer from backing up into a house.

If you have access to the Main drain, you have it made!
The latest PVC and ABS Backwater valves are slick indeed.
See:
http://www.superiorspecialty.com/Mai...rmoplastic.htm
http://www.dafehr.com/Canplas/cisbwvalve.htm
http://www.websitement-tm.com/z_webs...ter-Valves.htm

Not needed in your crawl space, but this design features an
extension to the ground surface, where the Main drain is buried,
which allows the flapper to be pulled up for cleaning/repair/inspection
without doing any digging!
http://www.cleancheck.com/about.htm

Jim

PSZach July 12th 06 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter
Someone mentioned it's a good idea to install a backflow preventer on the
house sewage line.

I searched google for such product and found a few different ones of
different shapes and prices, some are called backwater preventer, some
called flood guard. I still have no idea which is the correct type.

Could someone point me to the correct type to use for a family house? I have
access to the sewage drain pipe (4-inch black plastic pipe) in the
crawlspace and would like to install myself if it's just a matter of cutting
the pipe and inserting the device.

Yea, the correct term is Back Water Valve. It is a defense against sewer flow from your municipal sewer system. It allows sewage to normally flow from your building, but in the event of stoppage in the municipal system and sewage flow is directed towards your property a “flapper” inside this valve body will close. When the normal sewer flow resumes the “flapper” will return to its normal position.

Click here to be connected to….
http://www.cleancheck.net/menu.htm

For stoppage in waste lines within your home that might result in over flowing floor drains consider the General Wire Flood Guard Float….
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Produc...at=533&Mfr=132