DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Concrete Slab Glue Down Vapor Barrier? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/168879-concrete-slab-glue-down-vapor-barrier.html)

Mark July 11th 06 03:12 PM

Concrete Slab Glue Down Vapor Barrier?

I need some guidance from the group. I have an existing slab on grade
and I'm hoping to install engineered wood flooring. Most likely glue
down. I received some advice from an installer to glue down a vapor
barrier underlayment first then glue the wood flooring to the vapor
barrier. Sounded strange to me. He said there was flooring underlayment

product intended for the job....but I have not found anything yet. Any
suggestions?
thanks
Mark

Just mee July 11th 06 04:12 PM

Concrete Slab Glue Down Vapor Barrier?

There is NO glue down engineered wood flooring for slabs.

Its a floating floor...

oups.com...

MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC July 11th 06 04:45 PM

Concrete Slab Glue Down Vapor Barrier?

First step: have you ascertained that the slab is suitable for this
application?

For example the manufacturers of engineered flooring designed for
adhesive application to concrete slabs ("glue-down" floors)
generally recommend that these not be installed to a slab unless it has
a *measured year-around* moisture content below 4-5% (see the
manufacturer's specs for the specific product you are considering),
which renders many slabs at or below grade unsuitiable for this floring
method.

Michael Thomas
Paragon Home Inspection, LLC
Chicago, IL
mdtATparagoninspectsDOT

Edwin Pawlowski July 11th 06 04:54 PM

Concrete Slab Glue Down Vapor Barrier?

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need some guidance from the group. I have an existing slab on grade
and I'm hoping to install engineered wood flooring. Most likely glue
down. I received some advice from an installer to glue down a vapor
barrier underlayment first then glue the wood flooring to the vapor
barrier. Sounded strange to me. He said there was flooring underlayment

product intended for the job....but I have not found anything yet. Any
suggestions?

Do a floating floor. Glue down on concrete is risky. Yes, you need a
barrier.

I used www.mannington.com and it is very good after 3 years.

James \Cubby\ Culbertson July 12th 06 01:58 AM

Concrete Slab Glue Down Vapor Barrier?

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need some guidance from the group. I have an existing slab on grade
and I'm hoping to install engineered wood flooring. Most likely glue
down. I received some advice from an installer to glue down a vapor
barrier underlayment first then glue the wood flooring to the vapor
barrier. Sounded strange to me. He said there was flooring underlayment

product intended for the job....but I have not found anything yet. Any
suggestions?
thanks
Mark

I glued solid floor down. I didn't use a vapor barrier as my concrete was
dry and I live in an arid part of the world (plus the suppliers said not to
bother due to my location). Anyway, Bostic's makes a membrane that you
trowel on before gluing etc... I believe it's called "Bostic's MVP".
Cheers,
cc