DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Air conditioners (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/168878-air-conditioners.html)

HARRY BUCKLEY July 11th 06 02:31 PM

Air conditioners

My 2 zone aircondioning has 2 units outside. I noticed one fan seems to be
going faster than the other. The amount of air coming out of the slower one
seems less. What effect does this have on the system?

Pop July 11th 06 03:19 PM

Air conditioners

HARRY BUCKLEY wrote:
My 2 zone aircondioning has 2 units outside. I noticed one
fan seems to be going faster than the other. The amount of
air coming out of the slower one seems less. What effect
does this have on the system?

With such little information I would assume one zone is simply
calling for more cooling than the other? Or the zone sizes are
different, requireing differeing cooling call?

Just a thought, nothing to rely on.

Pop

Richard J Kinch July 11th 06 03:36 PM

Air conditioners

HARRY BUCKLEY writes:

My 2 zone aircondioning has 2 units outside. I noticed one fan seems
to be going faster than the other. The amount of air coming out of the
slower one seems less.

Possibly a botched repair, wrong replacement part.

What effect does this have on the system?

Wrong condenser fan: overheating fan motor, ineffective heat transfer,
reduced efficiency. Many $100s of cost over the long run.

Assuming these are originally identical units!

m Ransley July 11th 06 04:11 PM

Air conditioners

Are they 2 speed units, if not you know the answer, repairman time.

JimL July 11th 06 08:57 PM

Air conditioners

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:31:55 -0400, "HARRY BUCKLEY"
wrote:

My 2 zone aircondioning has 2 units outside. I noticed one fan seems to be
going faster than the other. The amount of air coming out of the slower one
seems less. What effect does this have on the system?

Give the model numbers of both units.

HVACTECH2 July 12th 06 12:02 AM

Air conditioners

wrote:

My 2 zone aircondioning has 2 units outside. I noticed one fan seems to be
going faster than the other. The amount of air coming out of the slower one
seems less. What effect does this have on the system?

You should turn it off right away and get it checked. this
could lead to a serious problem.

udarrell July 12th 06 03:11 PM

Air conditioners

HARRY BUCKLEY wrote:

My 2 zone aircondioning has 2 units outside. I noticed one fan seems to be
going faster than the other. The amount of air coming out of the slower one
seems less. What effect does this have on the system?

Condenser fan motors can be designed to run at very different speeds
with different sized fan blades and pitch angles.
Both condensers may be delivering the correct amount of CFM airflow.
A complete check-up by a good tech will tell you if each unit is
functioning properly and efficiently.
Also, have the indoor duct systems and airflow levels checked!
- udarrell - Darrell

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html