DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Laser marking systems (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/168877-laser-marking-systems.html)

[email protected] July 11th 06 02:04 PM

Laser marking systems

I'm in the market for an occasional-use right-angle laser. On one
hand, there's the PLS5
that sells for about 400.00, on the other, there's a Stanley for about
20.00. I'm sure the
PLS has a lot of features I don't need, all I want is the right angle
capability. The
description of the Stanley at the Home Depot site says it's accurate to
within 1/2" at
30'. Has anyone here had any experience with a less expensive one and
are they
junk is my question.

dpb July 11th 06 03:23 PM

Laser marking systems

wrote:
I'm in the market for an occasional-use right-angle laser. On one
hand, there's the PLS5
that sells for about 400.00, on the other, there's a Stanley for about
20.00. I'm sure the
PLS has a lot of features I don't need, all I want is the right angle
capability. The
description of the Stanley at the Home Depot site says it's accurate to
within 1/2" at
30'. Has anyone here had any experience with a less expensive one and
are they junk is my question.

I can't help on the actual experience part, but I've seen the Stanley
and figure any product that brags on 1/2" in 30' isn't worth wasting
$20 on. I think it depends on what one has in mind as a project for
which it would be used as to whether it would be at all suitable or
not. To hang a picture, maybe, but then again, is that worth $20???
What do you have in mind to use it for would undoubtedly help...

Al Bundy July 12th 06 04:50 AM

Laser marking systems

wrote in news:1152623048.098069.165780
@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I'm in the market for an occasional-use right-angle laser. On one
hand, there's the PLS5
that sells for about 400.00, on the other, there's a Stanley for about
20.00. I'm sure the
PLS has a lot of features I don't need, all I want is the right angle
capability. The
description of the Stanley at the Home Depot site says it's accurate to
within 1/2" at
30'. Has anyone here had any experience with a less expensive one and
are they
junk is my question.

The
description of the Stanley at the Home Depot site says it's accurate to
within 1/2" at
30'.

A half inch in 30'. I can eyeball better than that.

I never really understood what those accuracy specs were. I've seen laser
levels even up to 100' +/- say 1/2". What frikkin' good is that? Use string
and eyeball it then.

I don't have a laser level. Always wanted one but when I saw those accuracy
specs on various brands (Stanley, Straight-Line and that Sears Whore Bob
Vila with Craftsman) I said no.

I know a little about light and lasers. All the techno stuff about coherent
and collimated light basically means it has little divergence meaning it
doesn't fan out. So, I don't even understand how any laser can be off .5"
in 30'. Well, I guess the mirrors inside (if these are made the same as
"real" lasers) could be not very flat and/or poorly reflective. I mean I
got this $20 pen laser at Costco about 15 yrs ago. I pointed it at a house
like a half mile away at night and looked at it with a telescope. Sharp dot
like it was on a wall in the same room.