Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shredding Ivy

Charlie Morgan wrote:
I have a property with a lot of english ivy that has run amuck. I want
to pull it up and run it through a chipper-shredder. I'm just
wondering if one of those 6.5 HP Troy-bilt units from Sears or Lowes
will handle ivy without jamming every 10 seconds. Has anyone ever
tried shredding this stuff?

Yes, I understand that the ivy will grow back. So will the stand of
bamboo I will also be cutting down and running through the chipper. I
just need to clear it for the short term. My only question is about
whether this machine will grind the ivy reasonably well, since it
looks like that might be a good question to ask, given the tough,
stringy nature of ivy.

Thanks
CWM

I do this with my mulching lawn mower all the time. It makes for great
compost. Take care to make sure it's completely shredded before
tossing it in a pile somewhere. A small piece left in the right place
can take root and start a new vine.