DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   dumb question light switch (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/168648-dumb-question-re-light-switch.html)

beast625 July 9th 06 04:48 PM

dumb question light switch

I tried to replace a bathroom light switch. Simple switch - two
terminals on same side and a ground. However, with the replacement
installed, there was no electricity in an adjoining bedroom. Swapped
the old switch back in, and bedroom electricity was restored. Am I
using the wrong type of switch? Thanks for your help.

Colbyt July 9th 06 05:03 PM

dumb question light switch

"beast625" wrote in message
oups.com...
I tried to replace a bathroom light switch. Simple switch - two
terminals on same side and a ground. However, with the replacement
installed, there was no electricity in an adjoining bedroom. Swapped
the old switch back in, and bedroom electricity was restored. Am I
using the wrong type of switch? Thanks for your help.

The only thing that comes to mind is that the hot side of the switch is
powered from a pigtail inside the box. Your pulling and pushing loosened the
connection and then reversed when swapping back. With the power off follow
the black wires into the box and look for several of them secured with a
wire nut. Tighten that connection and try again.
--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Don Young July 10th 06 04:16 AM

dumb question light switch

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"beast625" wrote in message
oups.com...
I tried to replace a bathroom light switch. Simple switch - two
terminals on same side and a ground. However, with the replacement
installed, there was no electricity in an adjoining bedroom. Swapped
the old switch back in, and bedroom electricity was restored. Am I
using the wrong type of switch? Thanks for your help.

The only thing that comes to mind is that the hot side of the switch is
powered from a pigtail inside the box. Your pulling and pushing loosened
the connection and then reversed when swapping back. With the power off
follow the black wires into the box and look for several of them secured
with a wire nut. Tighten that connection and try again.
--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.
Post yours at www.ImageGenie.net for FREE.

Could also be loose connections in white neutral wires in box, though they
would not be connected to the switch.

Don Young

Phisherman July 10th 06 08:31 PM

dumb question light switch

On 9 Jul 2006 08:48:13 -0700, "beast625" wrote:

I tried to replace a bathroom light switch. Simple switch - two
terminals on same side and a ground. However, with the replacement
installed, there was no electricity in an adjoining bedroom. Swapped
the old switch back in, and bedroom electricity was restored. Am I
using the wrong type of switch? Thanks for your help.

Make sure the switch is not faulty and check all the connections
inside the box making sure they are tight. The electrical box may
contain (loose) connections unrelated to the switch.