DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Glazing Compound (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/168398-glazing-compound.html)

Don Phillipson July 5th 06 05:29 PM

Glazing Compound

Temperature of my south-facing windows
probably ranges from 100+ Fahr. in the Canadian
summer (air temps to the 90s) to -40 Fahr. in
winter (air temps sometimes that low.) What is
the most suitable glazing compound.

Conventional putty (mastic) seems to last no
more than 5 or 6 years, even when carefully applied
(onto timber dampened with linseed oil) and painted
thereafter. The chap who restained the siding 3 or 4
years ago patched glazing with paintable latex caulk
(25-year guarantee) but this did not last on south-
facing windows.

There was a similar problem on the (cedar) windowsills
which rapidly deteriorated in normal weather -- now
cured by:
1. Filling with Dynamic brand Dyna Patch spackle
compound, sanded glassy smooth.
2. Ten to 15 coats of stain (Pittsburg linseed-oil
based).
Every time the stain can is open, I add another coat.
It builds up in time like enamel and becomes totally
weatherproof. So I may try using this Dyna Patch
as window glazing as well -- but would welcome
advice from people who have solved this problem earlier.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs