Posted to alt.home.repair

Default D-Con No-see-um mouse trap

I just bought a couple of D-Con mouse traps and am wondering if anyone
else has had any experience with these. It's a round, black thing that
looks like a large hockey puck. You put the bait under a sticker on
the bottom, and then you wind the thing up until it's set. Then you
place it somewhere where the mice will see it, go inside, and
apparently the spring action kills the mouse and shuts the trap so that
not only do you kill the mouse but you don't have to see it. This is
the main reason I chose this one because I can't stand rodents of any
kind. There's an indicator that is supposed to tell you when you've
caught a mouse.

Now the reason I bought this is because I was seeing little chocolate
sprinkles in 2 of my kitchen drawers, and I finally figured out these
must be mouse turds I've heard people talk about. I cleaned the
drawers out a couple of times, at first not realizing what it was.

Anyway, now that I've emptied the drawers completely of everything
except for the traps, there is no sign of mouse anywhere. No more
chocolate sprinkles. I put peanut butter in the traps.

Today is the 4th day since I put the traps out. I've never tried to
catch/kill mice before. Have they figured out that it's a trap? Do
they not like peanut butter? I've checked and the peanut butter is
still there. If I don't see any more chocolate sprinkles anywhere,
should I just assume they found some other place to live? I only saw
the sprinkles in those two drawers--I looked in all of my other drawers
and cabinets and saw nothing.

Help! I'm thinking of calling the Orkin Man!

Lesley

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lesley" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Foolish girl....the mice read your post and now you're screwed ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lesley wrote:
[...]

Think "Orkin Man" only if the cat is named "Orkin."

If you don't have a cat, you can borrow one. Great fun for the kitty. Of
course you'll have to dispose of the mouse feet (or maybe the whole mouse).

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Lesley wrote:
[...]

Are you saying that the Orkin Man isn't going to be effective? I'm
very serious about making sure I have no mice in my house. I can't get
a cat or else I would--I'm extremely allergic, and besides I have a
killer Jack Russell Terrier. She seems to be totally unaware of the
mouse/mice in the house, yet she hunts them outdoors daily. Yesterday
she seemed to have cornered one under a rock. It was screaming at her
to go away.

I checked the traps this morning--no sprinkles, no mouse.

I'm even dreaming about the mouse traps now.

Lesley

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

On 6 Jul 2006 10:01:17 -0700, "Lesley" wrote:

Today is the 4th day since I put the traps out. I've never tried to
catch/kill mice before. Have they figured out that it's a trap? Do
they not like peanut butter? I've checked and the peanut butter is
still there. If I don't see any more chocolate sprinkles anywhere,
should I just assume they found some other place to live? I only saw
the sprinkles in those two drawers--I looked in all of my other drawers
and cabinets and saw nothing.

Help! I'm thinking of calling the Orkin Man!

Lesley

I come across this quite often...
http://www.arrow-pestcontrol.com/roachdrop.htm
It may be the large outdoor roach droppings you have been seeing.
Don't call a large National Company, you will be paying for the
Salesman's commision, the tech's commision and their overhead and
chances are you get someone new to the business. You probably know
friends that use a local company that are satisfied, if you choose to
not handle the problem yourself. Mouse or roach, if those cabinets
are near the sink or stove, make sure where the plumbing/power come
through the wall is sealed, many times it is just a rough opening.

Lar

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lar wrote:
[...]

Hey Lar,

THANK GAWD it's not roaches! Whatever is leaving the sprinkles in my
house--it eats seeds. I found a couple of empty seed casings in the
same drawers where I found the sprinkles.

How big must a cockroach have to be to leave droppings the size of
mouse droppings?

Never mind. I don't want to know. I'll just count my blessings. I
think.

Lesley

Posted to alt.home.repair

In my experience, cleaning out the drawers and leaving only traps in
them sort of alerts the mice that you've been there. I don't know if
they smell it or it just looks wrong to them, but frequently they will
ignore traps there.

I would re-place the traps along the likely travel paths to the
drawers. For example, if they are getting into drawers that are next
to the sink, put traps along the back of the cupboard under the sink,
take out the bottom drawer and put a trap against the back of the
cupboard/wall behind it and replace it, and so on.

Don't forget that once you have trapped the mice, you need to figure
out how they got in and plug up the access holes. Also figure out
where they are getting the seeds and remove the food sources.

Jo Ann

Lesley wrote:
Lar wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jo Ann wrote:
In my experience, cleaning out the drawers and leaving only traps in
them sort of alerts the mice that you've been there. I don't know if
they smell it or it just looks wrong to them, but frequently they will
ignore traps there.

I would re-place the traps along the likely travel paths to the
drawers. For example, if they are getting into drawers that are next
to the sink, put traps along the back of the cupboard under the sink,
take out the bottom drawer and put a trap against the back of the
cupboard/wall behind it and replace it, and so on.

Don't forget that once you have trapped the mice, you need to figure
out how they got in and plug up the access holes. Also figure out
where they are getting the seeds and remove the food sources.

Jo Ann

Thanks, Jo Ann. Perhaps I've scared them off. Evolution has probably
resulted in mice with bigger brains. I'll move the traps to someplace
where they won't be so obvious. . .

Lesley

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now the reason I bought this is because I was seeing little chocolate
sprinkles in 2 of my kitchen drawers, and I finally figured out these
must be mouse turds

Take some turds to a place that sells pest control chemicals for ID. May
well be from a cockroach. choc sprinkle sounds a bit small for
a mouse.

lee