Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting down vertical blinds.....

After forcing me to repaint our living room, the wife decided on new
blinds so I now have 3 perfectly good verticals that will go to waste,
unless I can cut one of them down (1 of them already fits in another
room, but unless I can get a matching one for the 2nd window in the
room, I still cant use it).

Basically going from a 125" wide setup to a 60" wide setup. Is there
any way to cut down the headrail on the existing vertical? I know I
can use a hacksaw to cut the track, but there is 1 guide and 2 or 3
strings inside the track itself, Im not sure how/what these connect to
yet (havent had a chance to really look at it). I think its even more
complicated by the fact that we have a "split open" instead of "one way
open" blind..........but just for ideas sake Ill assume that doesnt
make a difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated......Id hate to see the blinds go
to waste.

Thanks!
-Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Chris

I install the things for a living. Been doing it for 20 years. I would not
try to cut one down. It can be done if you have the right tools and
experience. Look for a Kirsch or Graber stocking dealer/distributor in your
area. Most can do the job for you. Last time I had it done for a customer
I think the charge was $20.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
As an aside, do you know of anywhere I can purchase the fabric used on
the verticals that have the PVC slats that fabric slides into?
Basically want to change the color of an existing blind without buying
a whole new blind. Pattern isnt as important as just getting the right
color.

They seem to be about 3" wide, and the fabric isnt very thick but it
feels very stiff (like its starched? or maybe even has some plastic
content in it).

Thanks!
-Chris

Kudos to you on the cut down. Did you remove all the extra carriers or are
you just going to have a lot of overlap?

Like all other industries no one wants to sell parts and when you can find
them the slats cost as much as a new blind.

But here are a couple of tips for you:

Any fabric can be used if you can keep it in place. Carefully applying a
heavy contact paper to the back of any fabric and then cutting the strips
should make it stiff enough. They use a similar product when the customer
provides a custom material.

3M makes or made a foil backed self adhesive tape that is almost perfect for
this. The foil tape such as is used to seal the foil/fiber ductwork may also
work. Measure one of your existing slats before you go shopping for the
backer

A spray on adhesive can also be used but the prior method is the best.

Either way once you have the fabric in place you can cut the hole in the top
with an exacto knife.

Do post back and let us know which method you used and how it worked out for
you.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the advice, Ill look into all of those options (currently
waiting on samples of the new blinds the wife wants, so I dont know
what color I need to match just yet).

Re cutting down the other vertical: since Im too particular about
everything I measured the existing track, counted the slats, divided
the track length by slats and got a "slat per length" number. Then
measured how long I needed the track and divided by the slat/length
number to get the exact number of slats. Yes, I have too much time on
my hands! Because it was a center open, I was going to remove equal
amounts of carriers from each side, but then I realized I could get rid
of the stop in the middle of the track, load all the carriers to one
side and have a right open/left stack blind (which is exactly what I
need for the window its going onto). Worked like a charm, I just had
to remove some of the metal bands from the carriers and reverse them
(half were left to right and the other half were the opposite). Still
need to make one more adjustment (the track is a tad long right now,
but the slat number is fine.....just need to trim an inch or two off
the track and we're set).

I hear ya about the parts....especially considering the place I ordered
them from recently went out of business. In the end I had about 17
carriers and the center stop left over. Ill also have a complete
casement-size blind that wont fit anywhere else......instead of tossing
it all, Im going to keep it so Ill have plenty of spare parts for any
of our verticals.

Thanks again!
-Chris

Colbyt wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
As an aside, do you know of anywhere I can purchase the fabric used on
the verticals that have the PVC slats that fabric slides into?
Basically want to change the color of an existing blind without buying
a whole new blind. Pattern isnt as important as just getting the
right color.

They seem to be about 3" wide, and the fabric isnt very thick but it
feels very stiff (like its starched? or maybe even has some plastic
content in it).

Thanks!
-Chris

wrote:
Wow, I didnt realize it might be so inexpensive. I just spent 45
minutes doing it myself, granted if I figured it would be that cheap
I would have dropped it off at a blind place!

I do believe you though, it wasnt the easiest thing Ive ever done.

-Chris

Colbyt wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You can order custom replacement fabric inserts for the slats anywhere you
can buy custom vertical blinds. Cost can vary from about $1 per slat to up
to $10-12 depending on the fabric you select. Lowe's has a nice low-cost
line. Just take a vane in with you so they can measure it. And FYI - you
can supply your own fabric and have slat replacements custom made
(expensive!).

--
nj_dilettante
in the words of the immortal Sgt Schultz: